I figure the kind folks of PerC can help me identify my personality type (or at least point me in a direction). I'd like to know what I am, so I can read up on my type, self-discovery, etc. (And how else will I know what bumper sticker and obnoxious t-shirt I can have printed???)
Here's my form thingy!
1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
I began doubting my type mainly because INFJs I've interacted with seem to have their feet on the ground a bit more than I do, and are generally of the nicer, more giving variety than myself. I can also get fairly loud/excitable/talkative, depending on who I'm around and if I'm comfortable with them. I was pretty settled on INFJ a while back, but recently I've been testing as INFJ, E/INFP and occasionally ISFJ. My understanding of cognitive functions is shaky at best, and when I studied up on each type/function, it only made me more confused because I couldn't distinguish which one was my leading function.
2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
Finding my place in life and belonging; having a dedicated, healthy relationship; generally, being happy and secure. These are things that I lacked growing up, and feel I still lack.
3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
Being able to help others make decisions and generally counseling them about their feelings, etc. It makes me feel capable when I can help others feel good.
4) What makes you feel inferior?
Being incompetent, people disregarding my thoughts/opinions, being socially 'undesirable', letting down the people I care about.
5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
A whole mix of everything, depending on the situation. If I'm in a group, I tend to decide based on what others think and feel (though I always have in the back of my mind that I'm right). When I'm alone, though, I tend to weigh pros and cons, but ultimately, I make choices based on a 'gut' sense or what I feel is the good option.
6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
Getting it done efficiently and timely. I do like to have control of the outcome, but I don't care to be a leader.
7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
Goofing off at the pier all day with my friend, and later sitting in the parking lot of a park at night in her car talking. I recall bits and pieces of it, kinda like watching old film clips? Not very vividly and not with a lot of detail.
8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
Research the hell out of it, pretty much. Take all the information I gathered and try to find the best way to go about learning it (if it's some kind of skill).
9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
Externally, my environment is usually an organized chaos. I have piles, but they're organized piles. Internally, my thoughts are fairly organized. I tend to chart things out in my head, what I have do in a sort of mental list.
10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
I'm pretty open to new ideas. If someone throws out an idea I like to know the reasoning behind it, the nuances that made them come up with it.
11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
I think I might have given my answer above, but for formality's sake, making sure people are doing fine and belonging.
12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
Thinking before speaking. Conversations can get kinda awkward with me because I pause so much between sentences and words. I would prefer group discussions just because I'm so awkward, it's easier to let other people take reign of the conversation.
13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
I'm very much about knowing what I'm getting into before I do something. I get impulsive once in a while, but for the most part, I prefer having a plan. And it's the idea and thought process that goes with the action or words that's important; either action or words are just ways to executing said intent.
14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
If I haven't seem them in a while, begrudgingly go out with them and probably have a good time. If I've seen them recently, tell them to go have fun and that I'll be okay hanging out at home.
15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
Pretty awful to be around. Moody. I tend to get impulsive and develop a sort of tunnel vision. I try to isolate myself and sort out what's stressing me out.
16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
I generally try to see where people are coming from, so it's hard for me to really say I truly dislike people, but it's mostly when they're selfish/close-minded or pushy with their beliefs. I don't care for it when people can't see beyond themselves or their ideas.
17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
The psychology behind things and people, nerdy/geeky things :B, relationships.
18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life
Politics, what famous people are doing, basically the who's-who kind of stuff, what's in trend; things that aren't my business to pay attention to.
19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
Spunky. Loyal. Helpful. Smart. Philosophical. Funny. Distant sometimes. Bossy, haha. Cute. It's pretty accurate, though I only show certain sides of myself to certain people.
They'd never call me simple, unfeeling, defenseless.
20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Playing video games! Spending most of it indoors, truth be told, and preferably by myself. Watching movies/tv, sleeping. Surf the web. Daydreaming. Ohh, stuffing my face with tasty food.
I guess I want to put a disclaimer down that I've recently been seeking therapy for a lot of issues (possible depression/anxiety disorder, brain problems) so I don't know if that will skew my personality type? I assume not, because your brain is your brain, but I'd thought I'd let you guys know, just in case.