INFP or INFJ

INFP or INFJ

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
Thank Tree13Thanks

This is a discussion on INFP or INFJ within the What's my personality type? forums, part of the Personality Cafe category; ...

  1. #1
    INFP - The Idealists

    INFP or INFJ

    First of all: hello, everyone! Iím new here, please excuse my newbieness.

    Iím really confused about my personality type. Iíve done several tests and the results vary from INFP to INFJ. Iíve read the descriptions and, to be quite honest, I can relate a lot to both of them. It would make me happy if you could help me find my personality type, even though I know it must be difficult for you to decide my type based only on a couple of sentencesÖ Anyway, I would really appreciate the help!

    I tried to sum up some important aspects of my personality. It was really hard to do and I hope itís informative enough. So, umÖ here they are:

    • I feel really guilty whenever something bad happens and I canít do anything to help (even if thereís nothing I can possibly do);
    • Iím extremely indecisive and worry too much over the various possible outcomes of that same decision Iím trying to make;
    • I am highly sensitive according to some tests Iíve done online;
    • Iím very idealistic and have strong moral values;
    • Iím very empathetic and can be easily affected by how another person is feeling;
    • I love to read, to write Ė I donít consider myself particularly creative but I feel good whenever I write something, even if I donít like the outcome (it may make me feel a little disappointed sometimes, though);
    • Iím very private Ė I barely talk about my personal life. Itís not that I donít trust people, itís just that I really have a hard time sharing personal experiences;
    • I can go to great lengths for someone close if I believe it is the right thing to do;
    • I work a lot to be successful as a student and good grades are important to make me feel good with myself (even if I donít always succeed);
    • I can spend a lot of time dreaming about how the future may be;
    • Iím still discovering myself and I still havenít found a meaningful path (i.e., what I want to do professionally in the future, etc.) but I do hope to find one. However, I have found some things that Iím able to do and that help me sculpt my own path in a way that it reflects my moral beliefs and idealistic views (being more considerate towards the environment, for example);
    • I really enjoy helping people with whatever they need (whether itís school work or personal problems Ė if they trust me that much, that is) and I feel happy whenever I can sense that I have really helped someone and that they are thankful for my help.


    Oh, this turned out to be too long. I honestly am thankful to whoever reads this
    freeleafinthewind thanked this post.



  2. #2
    INFJ - The Protectors

    You are an INFJ. Trust me....I went through the same thing and I just figured out my type yesterday. As I read up on the INFJ profile, I found it was almost exact.

    The reason for your P traits, are because you rely on your intuition greatly and would make you seem like a P while in fact you are a J.
    pinguimperador thanked this post.

  3. #3
    INTP - The Thinkers

    It's tough from your descriptions, but this one in particular
    I’m extremely indecisive and worry too much over the various possible outcomes of that same decision I’m trying to make;

    Sounds Ne or INFP
    pinguimperador thanked this post.

  4. #4
    INFP - The Idealists

    First I'd like to thank you for the quick response, musun69

    I understand what you mean. However, I'm not sure if I'm an 100% J... I searched for some information and I came across this website, which says the following about those with P or J traits:

    Judging and Perceiving preferences, within the context of personality types, refers to our attitude towards the external world, and how we live our lives on a day-to-day basis. People with the Judging preference want things to be neat, orderly and established. The Perceiving preference wants things to be flexible and spontaneous. Judgers want things settled, Perceivers want thing open-ended.

    We are using Judging when we:
    • Make a list of things to do
    • Schedule things in advance
    • Form and express judgments
    • Bring closure to an issue so that we can move on


    We are using Perceiving when we:
    • Postpone decisions to see what other options are available
    • Act spontaneously
    • Decide what to do as we do it, rather than forming a plan ahead of time
    • Do things at the last minute


    We all use both Judging and Perceiving as we live our day-to-day life. Within the context of personality type, the important distinction is which way of life do we lean towards, and are more comfortable with.
    The thing is, even though I feel most comfortable whenever I schedule things in advance and organize everything (which is a J trait), sometimes I don't do it (I tend to be a bit of a procrastinator and it makes me feel awful). Therefore, even though I tend to act more as a P (except for the "being spontaneous" part), the fact that I'm feel more comfortable when I act as a J makes me a J... am I correct?

    I'm sorry, I'm still new to all this. Thank you

    EDIT: @unleashthehounds - now I'm confused again Thank you for the response.
    freeleafinthewind thanked this post.

  5. #5
    INFJ - The Protectors

    www.personalitypage.com/INFJ.html

    I think you should read this, then come back to tell us what you think about it.
    Im telling you that you have the same personality as me. lol
    pinguimperador thanked this post.

  6. #6
    INTP - The Thinkers

    Quote Originally Posted by pinguimperador View Post
    EDIT: @unleashthehounds - now I'm confused again Thank you for the response.
    LOL, not a problem! I blame that most of the INFJ profiles are too vague and too hard to distinguish from INFP for the confusion.

    Here's a few questions to ask yourself:
    1. Is it more important for you to meet other's expectations, or be true to yourself?
    2. When you say "Iím very idealistic and have strong moral values;", do you see your moral values as inflexible, or might you consider violating them?
    3. Do you see yourself as stubborn?

    Another thing you could do is read up on Extraverted and Introverted Intuition, and Extraverted & Introverted Feeling. See which ones seem most familiar to you
    pinguimperador thanked this post.

  7. #7
    INFP - The Idealists

    Quote Originally Posted by musun69 View Post
    www.personalitypage.com/INFJ.html

    I think you should read this, then come back to tell us what you think about it.
    Im telling you that you have the same personality as me. lol
    Thanks for the link! Even though I do relate to the INFJ description, I can also relate to the INFP description... That's why it's so confusing to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by unleashthehounds View Post
    LOL, not a problem! I blame that most of the INFJ profiles are too vague and too hard to distinguish from INFP for the confusion.

    Here's a few questions to ask yourself:
    1. Is it more important for you to meet other's expectations, or be true to yourself?
    2. When you say "Iím very idealistic and have strong moral values;", do you see your moral values as inflexible, or might you consider violating them?
    3. Do you see yourself as stubborn?

    Another thing you could do is read up on Extraverted and Introverted Intuition, and Extraverted & Introverted Feeling. See which ones seem most familiar to you
    This was really helpful, thank you so much! I searched more info on Extroverted/Introverted Intuition and Feeling and I came to the conclusion that I have Introverted Feeling traits and Extroverted Intuition traits, which means I may be INFP.

    The only thing that keeps on bugging me is this:
    Judging (J)

    Judging is the preference outwardly displayed. Judging does not mean "judgmental". Judging people like order, organization and think sequentially. They like to have things planned and settled. Judging people seek closure.

    Judging Characteristics
    • Decisive
    • Controlled
    • Good at finishing
    • Organized
    • Structured
    • Scheduled
    • Quick at tasks
    • Responsible
    • Likes closure
    • Makes plans
    Perceiving (P)

    Perceiving is the preference outwardly displayed. Perceiving people are flexible, like to keep their options open and think randomly. They like to act spontaneously and are adaptable. Perceivers like to keep things open ended.

    Perceiving Characteristics
    • Adaptable
    • Relaxed
    • Disorganized
    • Care-free
    • Spontaneous
    • Changes tracks midway
    • Keeps options open
    • Procrastinates
    • Dislikes routine
    • Flexible
    I feel best when I have everything sorted out and planned but I rarely do that (as ironically as it may seem). Which counts more: how I feel or what I do? I hope I'm making sense... (Oh, should I answer the questions or should I only think about them and keep the answers to myself? )

  8. #8
    INTP - The Thinkers

    Quote Originally Posted by pinguimperador View Post

    I feel best when I have everything sorted out and planned but I rarely do that (as ironically as it may seem). Which counts more: how I feel or what I do? I hope I'm making sense... (Oh, should I answer the questions or should I only think about them and keep the answers to myself? )
    Ok, well. I'm a P too, and it is always a relief to get things sorted and planned out. One less thing to worry about.

    -but-

    I've been in a long term relationship with a strong J. Having things planned out isn't a nice to have, it's a must (or they stress out)

    I find that when I'm pushed to make decisions when I'm not ready, I get stressed out, does that happen to you?
    pinguimperador thanked this post.

  9. #9
    INFJ - The Protectors


    Quote Originally Posted by pinguimperador View Post
    First I'd like to thank you for the quick response, musun69

    I understand what you mean. However, I'm not sure if I'm an 100% J... I searched for some information and I came across this website, which says the following about those with P or J traits:
    Nobody really is 100% J. That you have one letter doesn't mean that you are completely that function, just means it is primary one. Also almost nobody completely corresponds to their MBTI stereotype personality.

    My J isn't very strong either. Both of my parents are pretty strong J's so through upbringing I've been forced to adapt and behave more like a P, being receptive of their judgements and plans rather than formulating my own judgements and plans. You'll see people who don't quite follow their stereotype, some significantly so, and sometimes this is because of some events in their childhood or teens that caused them to adopt a behavior that isn't quite natural to them. And oh yeah I also procrastinate a lot, do things in the last moment, and don't make very solid plans. But I do really hate unfinished projects, I like forming opinions, deciding either one way or another, and there is usually some sort of plan slowly conceptualizing in my mind.

    The difference in INFJs and INFPs is not in flipping one letter around - if you're are a J then you must be INFJ, if you are a P then you must be INFP is not how it works. There is actually a whole lot of difference in their other letters. While INFJs are F-types, F stands for feeling, their feeling is extraverted one and it is only secondary function. It is not same as the F in INFPs, who are governed by introverted feeling and it is their primary function. Neither are the Ns the same for both types even though letters are same. N of INFJs is introverted intuition. N of INFPs is extraverted intuition. For INFJs it is their primary function, for INFPs their intuition is their secondary function. These differences in major cognitive functions provide distinctive differences in behavior of both types. So it is not just determining what letter you have at the end - you also have to determine which type of N and F you are. To determine this correctly you actually have to read about what is extraverted intuition, how does it work, what does it make you feel like, how does it translate to real life. And after you read about each function and absorb what they really mean then you can say "I'm this type for sure".

    Also check out this website: INFJ or INFP? a closer look
    Explanation of functions can be found here: http://greenlightwiki.com/lenore-exegesis/AllPages?
    pinguimperador thanked this post.

  10. #10
    INFP - The Idealists

    Quote Originally Posted by unleashthehounds View Post
    Ok, well. I'm a P too, and it is always a relief to get things sorted and planned out. One less thing to worry about.

    -but-

    I've been in a long term relationship with a strong J. Having things planned out isn't a nice to have, it's a must (or they stress out)

    I find that when I'm pushed to make decisions when I'm not ready, I get stressed out, does that happen to you?
    Yes, that does happen to me. I stress out whenever I must decide something quickly. I need to have time in order to think about which decision to make and if someone forces me to decide quickly I really don't know what to do. I must be INFP, then

    Quote Originally Posted by vel View Post
    Nobody really is 100% J. That you have one letter doesn't mean that you are completely that function, just means it is primary one. Also almost nobody completely corresponds to their MBTI stereotype personality.

    My J isn't very strong either. Both of my parents are pretty strong J's so through upbringing I've been forced to adapt and behave more like a P, being receptive of their judgements and plans rather than formulating my own judgements and plans. You'll see people who don't quite follow their stereotype, some significantly so, and sometimes this is because of some events in their childhood or teens that caused them to adopt a behavior that isn't quite natural to them.

    Also check out this website: INFJ or INFP? a closer look
    It was pretty exaggerate of me to say "100%", sorry There are several personality types but even people who share the same type may be different from each other. I guess I still have a lot to learn...

    Thank you for the link and for the help!
    vel thanked this post.


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Socionics - Im an INFJ?! (INFP = INFJ?)
    By RedForest in forum Socionics Forum
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-09-2014, 10:30 PM
  2. Am I INFP or INFJ?
    By Halfjillhalfjack in forum What's my personality type?
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-28-2014, 02:04 PM
  3. [INFJ] INFJ or INFP
    By Prestmackine in forum INFJ Forum - The Protectors
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-06-2010, 08:17 AM
  4. INFJ or INFP?
    By arkay in forum What's my personality type?
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-12-2010, 07:56 PM
  5. INFP or INFJ
    By shygirl in forum What's my personality type?
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-04-2009, 01:17 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:45 AM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
© 2014 PersonalityCafe