Nines have global vision. Watch their arms as they talk, waving around in circles. They are considering all the opinions, pros and cons, perspectives, cultural differences. Nines are good listeners and are well suited to the caring professions - as a counsellor for example. Look for them in the United Nations, or negotiating peace in Iraq or in Northern Ireland putting their mediation skills and diplomacy to good use. They fare better with a structured routine and are reassured by their habits. They tend to thrive in more structured professions as bureaucrats, teaching, or in the civil service. They don't want to be identified with one stance to the exclusion of others however.
The peace loving Nine will fire off angry letters to the electricity board, take on the phone company, anything rather than shout at the person who has just ignored them. Better to keep them waiting while you float in scented bath water. In this way, the passive Nines can be experienced as controlling. Nines are generally good in groups and gain energy there, and they are also good team players. The qualitites they bring to a group are consideration, gentleness, inclusiveness and mediation. Mikhail Gorbachev is a good example of a Nine politician. Ringo Starr of the Beatles is probably a Nine, and so was the singer Luciano Pavarotti. The film maker Alfred Hitchcock was a Nine.
How Nines can nurture themselves and grow
How you can help me If I am Nine
- Take regular exercise that gets the heartbeat going and amps energy.
- Practice asking clearly for what you want (and don't want) from your relationships.
- If you find yourself saying "I don't know" or "Ok whatever..." pat attention, instead tell them you will decide, however you will need time to think.
- Listen when someone is angry with you.
- Start a journal and begin each entry with "Today I am angry with..." and learn to acknowledge this emotion in your life.
- Make daily realistic lists of what you want to accomplish and stick to them.
- If you go to the fridge between meals, ask yourself if there is something you are avoding dealing with.
- Learn to include your opinion in groups, think your thoughts through and then verbalise them, you are a valid member too.
- If you feel yourself becoming judgemental of others ask 'What am I angry about?"
- Enjoy relaxing times in your day, but make them part of the structure, and if needs be, give them a time limit.
- Get your friends to come along when you take up a new hobby.
- Become aware of being lazy or any other behaviour that is the Sloth manifest and transform this to its opposite - right action.
- Allow pauses in conversation so that I can gather my thoughts.
- Ask me what I think and feel, though give me time alone (if necessary) to reply.
- Don't blame your frustration or impatience on me,
- Do not offload on me for too long at a given time.
- Do things together.
- Forgive me for drifting off, it's nothing personal.
- Give me time to be alone at least once a day.
- If I am not doing something you want, you have to ask me in a gentle way, and do not apply some pressure on me.
- Before you criticise me, comment me on something first.
Excerpt from "Enneagram for the Spirit" by Mary Horsley.