The "Ask me about..." belief series of threads in the Spirituality & Religion section are meant to be informational (rather than argumentative) in nature. There are members who have graciously offered to explain more about a particular belief system, for the benefit of those who would like to understand those beliefs better. Participants who are genuinely curious can feel free to ask questions for the purposes of learning about and improving their knowledge of that belief system.
The current roster of official "Ask me about..." threads includes the following:Ask me about Agnosticism
Ask me about Atheism
Ask me about Christians (Believers and followers of the teachings of Christ)
Ask me about Ghosts, Spirits, Genies, Aliens, and more
Ask me about Islam
Ask me about Judaism
Ask me about Roman Catholicism
Ask me about Jehovah’s Witnesses
Ask me about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormons)
Due to past egregious issues that resulted in thread closings, and to protect the intent of these kinds of threads, we are establishing some basic ground rules:
- Ask questions. If you don't understand how a particular belief system works, please feel free to ask in a respectful way. These threads are aimed to be informational in nature, so curious members can better understand what a particular belief system entails.
- If you disagree with the belief system for any reason, that's fine. Please feel free to create a general thread in Religion & Spirituality where you can argue why to your heart's content. You can link to those threads from your post if you like, but please take the heated arguments elsewhere.
- Sometimes adherents of a particular belief system will disagree on points of interpretation. That's fine. Again, please remain respectful and fair/open in simply acknowledging there is a range of belief within the tradition. State your belief so that members are aware, then take any more serious disagreements to another thread (which you can link to from your posts) if you wish to enter a protracted debate.
- If you feel like someone is going beyond the purpose of just asking questions and is trolling the thread or insulting the host(s), please report the post. Do not derail the thread by getting into arguments in-thread.
- Moderation staff will be the judge of whether a thread is being derailed from its purpose, so if you don't want us involved, please remain respectful and take arguments over whether a particular belief is "true" or not to another thread.
Note: If you are an adherent of a belief system and want to contribute to the community as an informational Q&A source, please PM staff and we can work on including you as part of this series. (Please note that threads are not a free soapbox to rant against other worldviews or the evils of the world; you are just providing information about your belief system and addressing questions other members might have. In turn, the threads are not a place for other members to 'disprove' your faith.)
Some threads might remain closed until we have at least one adherent willing to take an active role. We're working this out as we go, based on what works.
If you have other questions about policy, you can post them in here, and we can address them for you. We will adjust the groundrules if we missed something or if something needs modified.