Why is Socionics so hard to get into?

Why is Socionics so hard to get into?

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
Thank Tree17Thanks

This is a discussion on Why is Socionics so hard to get into? within the Socionics Forum forums, part of the Personality Type Forums category; I am having trouble getting into Socionics. It's all too complicated and I lose interest easily. I am so much ...

  1. #1

    Why is Socionics so hard to get into?

    I am having trouble getting into Socionics. It's all too complicated and I lose interest easily. I am so much more comfortable with MBTI and Enneagram. Can someone maybe send me some links to websites that describe it well? Or better yet, could someone give me a general summary of the important aspects of Socionics?
    Lynway, Stasii and mushr00m thanked this post.



  2. #2

    I like the term mental masturbation. That's what comes up to my mind when I think about summarizing Socionics. So much stuff in this system is pulled out of ass like this whole compatibility system, visual type recognition or slightly altered function order taken from MBTI that it doesn't make sense unless you seriously shove all of it down your brain really hard. Unnecessary level of nonsense.

  3. #3

    Quote Originally Posted by SnowShrew View Post
    Or better yet, could someone give me a general summary of the important aspects of Socionics?
    I'd say the most important part of Socionics is intertype relations. It gives you something that can be applied and used.

    You're familiar with MBTI, the core idea isn't that different. Socionics is just a more thorough system based on Carl Jung's work.

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkSideOfLight View Post
    I like the term mental masturbation. That's what comes up to my mind when I think about summarizing Socionics. So much stuff in this system is pulled out of ass like this whole compatibility system, visual type recognition or slightly altered function order taken from MBTI that it doesn't make sense unless you seriously shove all of it down your brain really hard. Unnecessary level of nonsense.
    As opposed to MBTI, where everyone's a super special snowflake that they call an 'intuitive' except the people you don't like. Those people we call 'sensers' and they are trashed endlessly.

    You might as well change the name of MBTI to 'one big superiority complex.'
    Entropic, To_august, Blue Ribbon and 1 others thanked this post.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PersonalityCafe.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4

    Wikisocion is a good place to start studying it, I recommend reading about the Quadras which is the grouping system for types, maybe check out the temperaments and then the information elements which is basically the functions before diving into types. It will be probably easier for you to learn socionics if you accept that its different than Mbti.

  6. #5

    Quote Originally Posted by SnowShrew View Post
    I am having trouble getting into Socionics. It's all too complicated and I lose interest easily. I am so much more comfortable with MBTI and Enneagram. Can someone maybe send me some links to websites that describe it well? Or better yet, could someone give me a general summary of the important aspects of Socionics?
    Well, human nature is complex and human psyche is complicated. Socionics is a very simplified system from this perspective that describes only a portion or a layer of it. If you familiarized yourself with Jung's Psychological Types or works of Naranjo or Riso/Hudson and found them comfortable to understand, then there's no reason for Socionics to seem very complicated. It's far more transparent and consistent as a system in comparison to writings mentioned above. As a logic-driven thinker, whose capacity to solve complex problems that involve a lot of moving pieces few can match (as some MBTI INTJ descriptions claim), it has to be a non-issue for you. Unless you're looking for a one webpage explanation with shortcut labels to pigeonhole people.

    You can start with reading up on each of the information elements here or a shorter outline here, which should give a good understanding of IEs as separate aspects. Then proceed with learning about the way they are positioned in the model of a type - Model A. And finally you should read about Quadras to get the idea of the way types are distributed and grouped according to their shared valued IEs.
    Stasii and Santa Gloss thanked this post.

  7. #6
    Unknown


    But i love socionics more. Because the description is more informative. That's how i study my crush you know. Herherher.

  8. #7

    Quote Originally Posted by To_august View Post
    Well, human nature is complex and human psyche is complicated. Socionics is a very simplified system from this perspective that describes only a portion or a layer of it. If you familiarized yourself with Jung's Psychological Types or works of Naranjo or Riso/Hudson and found them comfortable to understand, then there's no reason for Socionics to seem very complicated. It's far more transparent and consistent as a system in comparison to writings mentioned above. As a logic-driven thinker, whose capacity to solve complex problems that involve a lot of moving pieces few can match (as some MBTI INTJ descriptions claim), it has to be a non-issue for you. Unless you're looking for a one webpage explanation with shortcut labels to pigeonhole people.

    You can start with reading up on each of the information elements here or a shorter outline here, which should give a good understanding of IEs as separate aspects. Then proceed with learning about the way they are positioned in the model of a type - Model A. And finally you should read about Quadras to get the idea of the way types are distributed and grouped according to their shared valued IEs.
    It is partly because I am INTJ that I am not getting into it. It is my Te. I do not see any practical use for it right off the bat, and it is demotivating me from actually trying to put everything together. I had a similar thing with Enneagram at first too, until someone convinced me of its usefulness.

    I've been trying to give the benefit of the doubt for Socionics after seeing how useful the other two systems could be. But I just can't help but be a bit skeptical as to how much practical use Socionics really has. I have also heard that the cognitive functions for Socionics and MBTI do not necessarily correlate, but I think they should. This also makes me wonder whether or not I should waste time reading about it. Why not have a unified theory of MBTI and Socionics where the functions correlate for sure?

    That said, I will look into the websites that have been mentioned on this thread. And hopefully, I will find the system to be a useful one as well as the other two.

  9. #8

    Quote Originally Posted by SnowShrew View Post
    It is partly because I am INTJ that I am not getting into it. It is my Te. I do not see any practical use for it right off the bat, and it is demotivating me from actually trying to put everything together. I had a similar thing with Enneagram at first too, until someone convinced me of its usefulness.
    Socionics has a greater value in terms of its practical use, imo. In addition to exploring individual TIM framework it has quadras and intertype relations that address the issue of interaction between types. Whereas MBTI is used mainly for work environments and career choices, the supposition for which are quite a bogus.

    I've been trying to give the benefit of the doubt for Socionics after seeing how useful the other two systems could be. But I just can't help but be a bit skeptical as to how much practical use Socionics really has. I have also heard that the cognitive functions for Socionics and MBTI do not necessarily correlate, but I think they should. This also makes me wonder whether or not I should waste time reading about it. Why not have a unified theory of MBTI and Socionics where the functions correlate for sure?
    Why do you think they should correlate?

    Of course you can make a unified theory, reconsider definitions and rearrange the structure so as to make a correlation, this wouldn't be neither MBTI nor Socionics anymore though.

  10. #9

    Quote Originally Posted by SnowShrew View Post
    It is partly because I am INTJ that I am not getting into it. It is my Te. I do not see any practical use for it right off the bat, and it is demotivating me from actually trying to put everything together. I had a similar thing with Enneagram at first too, until someone convinced me of its usefulness.
    Most of us here gave MBTI a fair try and deemed it completely useless. So, I'm kinda curious, what do you find useful about it?

  11. #10

    Others can speak to how they use it, but I find Socionics to be much more practical than MBTI. I think of it more as an interpersonal tool than a descriptive theory.

    Part of the reason I find it more practical is that it's more detailed. Types are defined by much more limiting criteria, which makes identification more consistent even when people of the same type appear very different in nondescript ways.

    The bigger reason it's more practical is the intertypes. For better or worse I care quite a bit about how I relate with other people, and Socionics offers the ability to predict certain types and qualities of interaction. Through the intertypes, I know in advance what kinds of information and communicative styles a person will respond to.

    To summarize, in my experience Intertypes can be used as:
    • A defensive tool in limiting/masking/simplifying interaction with people where unnecessary conflict is likely.
    • A more offensive tool to politicize with people who are connected with things you want, and likely to have an affinity to you and build rapport.
    • A tool for explaining more non-descript attitudes you may experience towards other people (and that they may have towards you without your knowing)
    • A predictive tool for other peoples' potential - which roles they will likely occupy in groups, what types of tasks or environments would make best use of their natural focus, who would be best to go to for ____, who would make the best _____, etc
    • Conflict management - knowing which aspects of yours, or someone else's communication could be toned down or amped up to keep things as amicable as possible
    • A way to identify otherwise hazy blind spots in your own everyday life, which input would best support those weaknesses, and extent to which they can/cannot be improved



    There are of course going to be other uses of the theory, but those are my main ones.
    Maybe, Santa Gloss, Immolate and 1 others thanked this post.


     
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-28-2016, 02:24 AM
  2. [INFJ] Hard Time Telling Someone the Hard Truth
    By NotAlone in forum INFJ Forum - The Protectors
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-20-2015, 04:21 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-05-2014, 11:56 PM
  4. Socionics Online Hangout #2 - Socionics Vs. MBTI
    By HandiAce in forum Socionics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-13-2013, 01:03 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:55 AM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
© 2014 PersonalityCafe
 

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0