Define what you think feminism is.
Do you consider yourself a feminist?
Why or why not?
Executive summary for future posters and points to consider before you rant/flame:
This thread has ended up focusing heavily on several different issues,
-misandry vs. feminism
-are feminists striving for equal rights or are they man-hating whiners
-what feminism even is
-whether or not women today are equal to men (some say yes, others no)
-and whether or not being a feminist makes you think men are misogynists
-if being an anti-feminist makes you a misogynist
-if women's rights are at stake, why? is it societal oppresion, or a lack of hard work, or the nature of the sexes?
as you can tell, a lot of these are playing with semantics or gross generalizations. as you debate, be on the looking for misunderstandings and refusal to take into account what the other person is saying and using your own definitions of the terms here over their points, which probabaly define feminism or anti-feminism very different ways.
The mirriam webster definition of feminism is posted somewhere in this thread cut and paste along the lines of
1. goal of social, political, and economic equality between the sexes
2. activism on the behalf of women's issues
but the working definition many people on the thread who take issue with feminism seems to be a combination of
extreme/radical, agressive feminism mixed with misandry/blaming lack of equality on others or ignoring present equality.
So many of the proposed anti-feminists are pro-equal rights, which makes sense or no sense depending on your view of feminism.
With this is mind you can now
1. debate peacefully without name-calling or taking the other out of context
2. not bash either gender as no person, no matter how irritating, is the representative of a single sex
3. keep your cool and make your points because those can speak for you
4. contrinute fascinating dialouge on this heated topic