[ISTJ] ISTJs vs. ISFJs

ISTJs vs. ISFJs

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
Thank Tree101Thanks

This is a discussion on ISTJs vs. ISFJs within the ISTJ Forum - The Duty Fulfillers forums, part of the SJ's Temperament Forum- The Overseers category; I've been finding it difficult to tell the difference between an ISFJ and an ISTJ in real life. I can ...

  1. #1
    ISTJ - The Duty Fulfillers

    ISTJs vs. ISFJs

    I've been finding it difficult to tell the difference between an ISFJ and an ISTJ in real life. I can of course point out the differences on paper. But attributing actions to Fe and Ti or Te and Fi often seems to have me confused. This increases in difficulty when the person in question has a 1 in their tri-type, which is a very common enneagram type in both the ISFJ and the ISTJ.

    Do you guys know a good way of telling the difference irl?
    niss, Sela, Rhee and 1 others thanked this post.



  2. #2
    INFP - The Idealists

    My best friend is an ISFJ, and using her as my sample, I would think a good way to tell is by the way the person talks and what they talk about. She's pretty shy and introverted, but when she does talk to others (especially those she doesn't know), she is Fe oriented. She smiles a lot, seems courteous, laughs at lame jokes, overly polite, that kind of stuff. It isn't overt, but those that I suspect to be ISTJ don't seem to naturally engage in that all the time (or at all). She is very feminine too, and while she loves to have every hair in place and make sure her outfits are properly color coordinated, she isn't intimidating--there is a soft, gentleness about her. You can instantly tell that she will be friendly if you talk to her.

    Her interests are drastically different from what I think an ISTJ would like--she loves kids and fashion, she loves soft, sappy music, she can not grasp new material from a textbook (she doesn't like to read), and most importantly: she likes to gossip. She isn't dramatic, but I know that she likes talking about whatever drama is surrounding her (although she doesn't like being involved in the drama). She is incredible at recognizing faces, she can meet someone once and forever remember who they are, where she met them, etc. She is also a beast at directions.

    In terms of her emotions, she deals with them alone and she doesn't talk about her feelings too often, but she definitely does not use logic to make decisions. She isn't incredibly opinionated, and I think that it takes her a while to form conclusions about stuff. She is not very detail oriented, unless it is about household issues or money. She likes things to be visually organized, but does not structure her life in the same way. She also is a "forgive, but never forget" person.

    It isn't the most scientific way of typing someone but since you are an ISTJ, maybe by comparison you can notice some differences. In terms of enneagram, I think she is a type 9, with a 1 and 2 somewhere in her tritype. Hope that helps!

  3. #3
    ISFJ - The Nurturers

    Probably telling the difference between an ISFJ type 1 and an ISTJ would be pretty difficult. Being a Type 1 on the Enneagram and an ISFJ, I think I probably come across being a bit softer than the ISTJ Type 1s. For example, when we did the Personal DNA test in the ISTJ thread, I got results indicating that I was a considerate analyst. Most of the ISTJs didn't get considerate (unless they were type 9s). Maybe it's the fact that I am a 1w2 whereas others are 1w9s, but I think that a lot of my values relate to how people are treated (as opposed to efficiency).

    Also, it's been said by other on PerC that Si, Fe, Ti, and Ne (in any order) is likely to be long-winded in conversation. I think many of the ISFJs are more verbose than the ISTJs are (and usually write longer posts(. I think the difference is the use of Te vs. Ti.

    I don't think I am an incredibly opinionated person myself, but I would consider myself to be very detail-oriented. Maybe it's because I am a 1 and I really want to get things right. But I am not exceptionally well organized and only try very hard to organize the things that I know will heavily affect a group of other people or are related to things that I really care about (like my performance at school).

    I really don't think that I am a very blunt person (except when someone has done something that I think is immoral. I would be very afraid of hurting others by criticizing them too much.
    niss, Sela, CorgiGirl and 3 others thanked this post.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PersonalityCafe.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    ISTJ - The Duty Fulfillers

    Quote Originally Posted by kittychris07 View Post
    Also, it's been said by other on PerC that Si, Fe, Ti, and Ne (in any order) is likely to be long-winded in conversation. I think many of the ISFJs are more verbose than the ISTJs are (and usually write longer posts(. I think the difference is the use of Te vs. Ti.
    I thought that anybody who's Si dominant could be long-winded. I've known both ISTJs (including myself) and ISFJs who don't know when to shut up when they've gone on too long.

    Quote Originally Posted by kittychris07 View Post
    I don't think I am an incredibly opinionated person myself, but I would consider myself to be very detail-oriented. Maybe it's because I am a 1 and I really want to get things right. But I am not exceptionally well organized and only try very hard to organize the things that I know will heavily affect a group of other people or are related to things that I really care about (like my performance at school).
    That's fairly interesting, I'm starting to see how a dividing point between the two with that paragraph.
    niss, Sela, kittychris07 and 1 others thanked this post.

  6. #5

    My mom is ISFJ. She is intensely interested in people. She always wants to know what is going on with my friends and such, whereas I don't really care. She asks me what is going on with them and I never know! I rarely talk about others, actually, unless there is a point to it.
    niss, Sela, kittychris07 and 6 others thanked this post.

  7. #6

    Quote Originally Posted by fresh View Post
    My best friend is an ISFJ, and using her as my sample, I would think a good way to tell is by the way the person talks and what they talk about. She's pretty shy and introverted, but when she does talk to others (especially those she doesn't know), she is Fe oriented. She smiles a lot, seems courteous, laughs at lame jokes, overly polite, that kind of stuff. It isn't overt, but those that I suspect to be ISTJ don't seem to naturally engage in that all the time (or at all). She is very feminine too, and while she loves to have every hair in place and make sure her outfits are properly color coordinated, she isn't intimidating--there is a soft, gentleness about her. You can instantly tell that she will be friendly if you talk to her.

    Her interests are drastically different from what I think an ISTJ would like--she loves kids and fashion, she loves soft, sappy music, she can not grasp new material from a textbook (she doesn't like to read), and most importantly: she likes to gossip. She isn't dramatic, but I know that she likes talking about whatever drama is surrounding her (although she doesn't like being involved in the drama). She is incredible at recognizing faces, she can meet someone once and forever remember who they are, where she met them, etc. She is also a beast at directions.

    In terms of her emotions, she deals with them alone and she doesn't talk about her feelings too often, but she definitely does not use logic to make decisions. She isn't incredibly opinionated, and I think that it takes her a while to form conclusions about stuff. She is not very detail oriented, unless it is about household issues or money. She likes things to be visually organized, but does not structure her life in the same way. She also is a "forgive, but never forget" person.

    It isn't the most scientific way of typing someone but since you are an ISTJ, maybe by comparison you can notice some differences. In terms of enneagram, I think she is a type 9, with a 1 and 2 somewhere in her tritype. Hope that helps!
    Bold applies to me, as well...
    niss, Sela, Out0fAmmo and 4 others thanked this post.

  8. #7
    Unknown

    ISFJs are warmer and friendlier versions of ISTJs.

    They are more interested in how a given situation will impact the people involved than how the people might help or hinder the situation.

    It is rare for the female ISFJ to be labeled as an "ice queen." This is fairly common for ISTJ females.

    ISFJs are interested in the feelings of others, naturally engaging in dialogue about those feelings. The ISTJ can do so, but it requires a conscious effort.

    The ISFJ wants things done correctly, but are more flexible about what is correct, as long as harmony exists. ISTJs tend to want things done correctly: Sorry about you're feelings, but that's the way it is.

    ISFJs feel very nurturing in their approach to life. ISTJs feel very right about their approach to life.

    HTH
    Sela, MindBomb, CorgiGirl and 5 others thanked this post.

  9. #8
    ISFJ - The Nurturers

    Quote Originally Posted by niss View Post
    ISTJs tend to want things done correctly: Sorry about you're feelings, but that's the way it is.

    ISTJs feel very right about their approach to life.

    HTH
    Good analysis. But an ISFJ Enneagram type one can be like the above in some occasions (as I know from my own personal experience).
    niss, Sela, CorgiGirl and 2 others thanked this post.

  10. #9
    ISFJ - The Nurturers

    Quote Originally Posted by CorgiGirl View Post
    I thought that anybody who's Si dominant could be long-winded. I've known both ISTJs (including myself) and ISFJs who don't know when to shut up when they've gone on too long.
    My impression was that Si+Te users usually use less language because they really want to get to the point quickly. Si might be long-winded. but I think that Si+Ti can make for some really long-winded discussions.

    Also, verbosity might be correlated with Enneagram type. It's said that type 6s can be long-winded. At least many of their posts are long-winded, from what I have seen around the PerC forum.
    niss, Sela, CorgiGirl and 3 others thanked this post.

  11. #10
    Unknown

    Quote Originally Posted by kittychris07 View Post
    Good analysis. But an ISFJ Enneagram type one can be like the above in some occasions (as I know from my own personal experience).
    All types can exhibit all behaviors. The difference is the overall tendency. So while an ISFJ will feel this way or say these things from time to time, the ISTJ will exhibit these behaviors on a very regular basis.
    Sela, MindBomb, CorgiGirl and 2 others thanked this post.


     
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [ISFJ] Famous ISFJs and Fictional ISFJs
    By screwedupsweetie in forum ISFJ Forum - The Nurturers
    Replies: 321
    Last Post: 05-21-2017, 08:24 AM
  2. [ISTJ] Famous ISTJs and Fictional ISTJs
    By SeekJess in forum ISTJ Articles
    Replies: 430
    Last Post: 02-05-2017, 11:48 PM
  3. [ISFJ] Hello ISFJs
    By MonieJ in forum ISFJ Forum - The Nurturers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-09-2011, 05:44 AM
  4. The Key to ISFJs
    By Grey in forum ISFJ Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-14-2010, 12:07 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:53 PM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
© 2014 PersonalityCafe
 

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0