[INTP] Empathetic INTPs

Empathetic INTPs

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44
Thank Tree103Thanks

This is a discussion on Empathetic INTPs within the INTP Forum - The Thinkers forums, part of the NT's Temperament Forum- The Intellects category; I admit, this is rather personally-driven, and I've always had a nagging suspicion that I might be INTP, but I ...

  1. #1
    INFJ - The Protectors


    Empathetic INTPs

    I admit, this is rather personally-driven, and I've always had a nagging suspicion that I might be INTP, but I really do wonder about this.

    I don't doubt that there are plenty of nice, considerate INTPs about in the world, as a cliche for them is they don't tell their friends they care about them because that is "self-evident" or whatever. Nor do I doubt that there are many that are "emotional" in the sense that they can be touchy/sensitive about some issues. What I do wonder about is in how they react to other people's emotional expression in terms of being able or even inclined to empathize with their interlocutor. Making decisions by "feeling into" the experience of all the people around you practically defines you as F over T on the MBTI scale, but it's certainly possible to empathize, or at least actively sympathize, with a person in the moment while still making decisions from a detached and/or logical standpoint.

    Or maybe it's just a matter of how you define dominant Ti. You guys are INTPs; where do you draw the defining line? Surely I'm not the only one with mixed preferences in this area.



  2. #2
    INTP - The Thinkers


    It's been proven that we are more likely to help people who resemble ourselves.

    So if I see a poster for a lost pet, I'll usually try and contribute to helping find the pet, because it brings back memories of me looking for my cat when I was little. This however, applies to everybody, not just INTP's.

    So I don't know. I don't like helping people, (if I see somebody hurt/crying I will walk very quickly in the opposite direction) but if I see an injured animal I'd try to help it. Does that count?

  3. #3
    ENTP - The Visionaries

    If you usually make decisions based on that detached "objectivity" (Quoted because it's often entirely arbitrary and/or impossible to define as such; still, having that baseline is important to the process), you are probably more INTP than INFJ.
    Decoy24601 and Dying Acedia thanked this post.

  4. #4
    INTP - The Thinkers


    There's a difference between what you feel/empathize with and how you resolve problems (Judging skill used).

    Typically INTPs take a more impersonal approach to problem solving. It doesn't mean you don't feel anything, it just means that it's based on some system of rules that is outside of you rather than totally dependent on your own personal values/interests.

    For example, you typically don't pick sides based on your connections to the people involved, even if you happen to feel sympathy for one or the other; you'll be concerned that a fair and unbiased interpretation of events dominates. If you do pick someone because of family or friendship, it's because you found some other logical principle (not just the connection) by which to prioritize that choice.
    Decoy24601, TiNeSi, Juan M and 17 others thanked this post.

  5. #5
    INTP - The Thinkers

    Would it surprise you to know that I make decisions outside of how I feel? I look at what I'm experiencing from the outside and say, "Yes, that is valid," or "No, you're being a dickhead," and resolve my conclusion from that. Perhaps we all "feel into" our decisions, but I think the difference between INTPs and INFJs is that INTPs might give less of a f*** about themselves.
    Deanna, Ista, Tophthetomboy and 2 others thanked this post.

  6. #6
    INTP - The Thinkers

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennywocky View Post
    There's a difference between what you feel/empathize with and how you resolve problems (Judging skill used).

    Typically INTPs take a more impersonal approach to problem solving. It doesn't mean you don't feel anything, it just means that it's based on some system of rules that is outside of you rather than totally dependent on your own personal values/interests.

    For example, you typically don't pick sides based on your connections to the people involved, even if you happen to feel sympathy for one or the other; you'll be concerned that a fair and unbiased interpretation of events dominates. If you do pick someone because of family or friendship, it's because you found some other logical principle (not just the connection) by which to prioritize that choice.
    What she said.

  7. #7
    INTP - The Thinkers

    For me, I know all the roles of HOW to be empathetic, and have acted as though I was.. But Under it all.. It was a lie.
    ajackson17 thanked this post.

  8. #8
    Unknown Personality

    When I saw the title my initial response was: "They're called INFJs"
    Nice to see this was written by an INFJ :D
    Jennywocky, marckos, Perhaps and 2 others thanked this post.

  9. #9
    INTP - The Thinkers


    Quote Originally Posted by INTJ the DC View Post
    When I saw the title my initial response was: "They're called INFJs"
    Nice to see this was written by an INFJ :D
    PS I liked this cuz I thought it was funny. Although I think whether or not I agree with you depends on how we define "empathize." (see my post above for more detail)
    Octavarium thanked this post.

  10. #10
    Unknown Personality

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennywocky View Post
    PS I liked this cuz I thought it was funny. Although I think whether or not I agree with you depends on how we define "empathize." (see my post above for more detail)
    Haha, well I wasn't trying to be smart just goofy. But I agree with your post.
    The title speaks of INTP who are "empathetic" not having empathy.
    INTP should have empathy but they probably wouldn't come off as empathetic to a lot of people, for the reasons you mentioned.
    Octavarium thanked this post.


 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [ENFP] Empathetic distress
    By frenchie in forum ENFP Forum - The Inspirers
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-23-2014, 03:19 PM
  2. [INFJ] Have you always been empathetic?
    By ardentauthor in forum INFJ Forum - The Protectors
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-05-2012, 06:09 AM
  3. Too empathetic to be a Thinker?
    By ardentauthor in forum Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-04-2012, 05:48 PM
  4. The Empathetic INFJ (Socionics)
    By firedell in forum Socionics Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-30-2011, 08:45 PM
  5. [INFJ] Naturally empathetic?
    By thegirlcandance in forum INFJ Forum - The Protectors
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-31-2010, 08:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:52 AM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
2014 PersonalityCafe