People with AvPD are preoccupied with their own shortcomings and form relationships with others only if they believe they will not be rejected. Loss and rejection are so painful that these individuals will choose to be lonely rather than risk trying to connect with others.
* Hypersensitivity to criticism or rejection
* Self-imposed social isolation
* Extreme shyness or anxiety in social situations, though feels a strong desire for close relationships
* Avoids physical contact because it has been associated with an unpleasant or painful stimulus
* Avoids interpersonal relationships
* Feelings of inadequacy
* Severe low self-esteem
* Mistrust of others
* Emotional distancing related to intimacy
* Highly self-conscious
* Self-critical about their problems relating to others
* Problems in occupational functioning
* Lonely self-perception, although others may find the relationship with them meaningful
* Feeling inferior to others
* In some more extreme cases — agoraphobia
* Utilizes fantasy as a form of escapism and to interrupt painful thoughts
That definitely describes me.
Edit: Ok, maybe not.