[INFJ] INFJ- directive language?

INFJ- directive language?

+ Reply to Thread
Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28
Thank Tree36Thanks

This is a discussion on INFJ- directive language? within the INFJ Forum - The Protectors forums, part of the NF's Temperament Forum- The Dreamers category; ...

  1. #1
    INFJ - The Protectors

    INFJ- directive language?

    So! PinkRasputin really isn't a fan of INFJs. I posted a thread on the ENFP board asking a question about a phenomenon called "Trickster functions" and their ability to cause miscommunication between INFJ and ENFP, and part of her reply was this...

    "On another note: Dearest INFJs (mostly male ones), for a LONG time I wish to give you this reminder:

    Quote:
    Using Permissive and Directive Messages

    Another way to consider message statements relates to how permissive or directive they are. This is similar to using either the present or near future tense but still somewhat different.

    Some of your target listeners may be more receptive to message statements that command them to be or do something. Others may subconsciously require permission before embracing any messages.

    A directive statement will serve to command the subconscious mind to adopt the message statement. A permissive statement will suggest that the idea is acceptable and then present it accordingly.

    An example of a normal message statement in the present tense is “I am confident”. A directive and more commanding statement would be “I am confident now and always”. The tense is the same, but the manner in which the statement is phrased is significantly more commanding.

    A more permissive example of this would be “I allow myself to be confident”. Instead of commanding, the statement merely suggests that it is acceptable to permit oneself to be more confident.

    People who are accustomed to being in control of most of their life scenarios may dictate that you incorporate more permissive statements in your message script. Even so, there are others that may readily accept directive subliminal commands.

    Since you will be unable to probe the subconscious mind of your target listener, the obvious and preferred choice is to use both permissive and directive statement types in you message script. In this way, you are targeting both types and balancing them correctly will only make your recording more effective for a greater number of people."


    Apparently A-

    -We use Directive language.

    And B-

    -Our use of it is harmful to people who are easily influenced?

    Of course, the hilarity of this whole thing is that PinkRasputin barely goes a single post without some pretty directive statements. Still.... As someone who talks in a pretty straightforward tone. I'd be interested in exploring this as a possible shortcoming of us INFJs.

    Any thoughts?
    Geoffrey thanked this post.



  2. #2
    INFJ - The Protectors

    Here is some information posted in this Thread: Personality Type Forums > NF's Temperament Forum- The Dreamers > NF: Direct/informative communication

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Katzenjammer View Post
    Your Preferred Communication Style

    Another way to distinguish between whether you are an INFJ or an INFP is to determine your 2 preferred communication styles.
    (This is part of another Type model, and it's the most reliable way to sort INFJ from INFP. If you write me wondering which Type you are, I'm going to push you to sort on this polarity -- so you might as well do it now. Spend some time on this page -- in fact, read it TWICE!)
    Both INFPs and INFJs are "responding" types. That's another way of saying "introvert." All introverts prefer the responding communication style. This is often a simpler yardstick than choosing between "gregarious" and "shy," which is how extraversion and introversion are sometimes defined. The "responding" communication style simply means that other people are more likely to start up a conversation with you than you are to start up a conversation with them. It's all about who goes first. In contrast, extraverts are "initiating" types, which means they tend to initiate dialogue more often than "responding" types do. That doesn't mean extraverts can only initiate and introverts can only respond -- it simply reflects what each type is more inclined to

    do.


    Many responding Catalysts often wonder whether they are actually extraverts, because they can be downright gregarious in certain situations, especially with their natural interest in teamwork and other people. It's hard to imagine a Catalyst not wanting to be around people! The question to ask yourself is whether you have a tendency to initiate conversations, or wait to respond to someone else's overtures. If the latter, you're probably a "responding" communicator -- which fits for both INFJ and INFP.

    To sort out whether your preferences are for INFJ or INFP, investigate whether you possess the directing or informing style of communication.

    "What's that?" you are probably asking. Well, it's a concept that's nearly impossible to explain via the internet, but I'm going to try. According to Dr. Linda Berens, the founder of Interstrength Associates (formerly Temperament Research Institute), each of us is hard-wired to utilize one communication style over the other. That means you're just plain born that way -- it's innate! And it's not only about the words we use; it's how we communicate our intent (though some of us have been conditioned to soften or amplify our natural style, depending on our environments and how we were nurtured).

    David Keirsey titles these styles of communication "role-informing" and "role-directing" -- which is the same concept with longer labels. And let me make it clear: directing and informing are on a continuum, and everyone is capable of doing either one at any given time.





    The question is, which style are you more comfortable with? (And nobody gets to live on the mid-point.)
    The directing style of communication is easiest to spot. The extreme form is the style used by traffic cops, stressed parents, and military commanders. It includes communications that would be classified as a "direct order." Examples include:

    "Sit down."
    "Put it over there."
    "Clean your room."
    The message is delivered in an authoritative tone of voice. The reason Keirsey calls this "role-directing" is because the person speaking the words assigns what roles are to be played in the interaction. In the examples above, the speaker adopts the "in charge" role, while the recipient is automatically subordinated. The listener is expected to cooperate and play the role the speaker has determined.
    The informing style of communication is harder to detect. Sometimes those with the directing style are simply oblivious to it, not recognizing that a defining interaction just transpired. Extreme forms of this communication include messages that might be classified as "victim talk." Examples include:

    "I don't have any money."
    "That music is so loud."
    I'm not feeling good."

    These communications are delivered in a non-authoritative tone of voice. The reason Keirsey calls them "role-informing" is because the person speaking the words is deliberately not defining what roles are assigned in the interaction. In these examples, the listener gets to choose what roles are to be played -- meaning they have been granted authority whether to ignore the remark or act upon it. The critical factor is that the recipient of the message gets to determine what part they choose to play. They can act on the information, or not -- the decision is freely theirs.
    The examples I've posed are those of extremes -- bossy on the one side, victim on the other. But please don't think I'm painting INFPs as victims and INFJs as persecutors -- I'm using extreme examples and descriptions to make my point! In real life, most normal communications fall somewhere closer toward the mid-point. Perhaps the best example is the simplest one:
    Informing communication: The light is green.
    Directing communication: Go.
    Chances are you've spoken phrases of both these kinds during various episodes in your life. Which reinforces the point I made earlier -- everyone is capable of doing both styles of communication. And one episode of directing does not define you as having the directing style; nor does one episode of informing define you as having the informing style. The appropriate question to ask yourself is, which style are you more comfortable with?

    In this special situation we are investigating -- meaning our attempt to distinguish a preference for INFJ or INFP -- it can be tricky to discern which communication style one prefers (compounded by how this is nearly impossible to explain through the internet). In a nutshell, INFJs are more comfortable telling other people what to do than INFPs are, despite both being introverts. INFPs are more comfortable just providing information.
    I'll provide a couple more examples:

    Directing
    "Ask Jerry for specific instructions on balancing the budget."
    "Jerry has some information that might help you balance the budget."

    Informing
    "Marion, would you find a restaurant to host fifty people at a banquet in September?"
    "Marion, do we have information on any restaurants that could host a banquet in September for fifty people?"

    See how both columns request the same outcome, but in entirely different ways?

    And here's a domestic example. Let's imagine we have run out of milk. A spectrum of remarks to a family member might include
    We're out of milk.
    We need milk.
    Would you be able to get us some milk?
    We're out of milk and I was wondering if you could get us some?
    We're out of milk. Would you please get us some?
    Would you please get us some milk?
    Please get us some milk.
    Get some milk.
    Can you find which phrase you're most likely to say?
    Asking someone to get milk might seem like a pretty simple thing, and yet, with all the uniqueness in the world, can still cause a communication gap! Within this small range of possible choices, a whole lot of misunderstandings can still occur. (It doesn't take an extraordinary situation to create extraordinary conflict.) Depending on one's style and how they ask, one may think the requestor is being rude or even being manipulative, or not asking for what they really want. And the way people cope with these communication mismatches is by labeling behaviors "passive-aggressive" or "bossy."

    According to Linda Berens in "Understanding Yourself and Others: An Introduction to Interaction Styles," the directing style of communication has a task/time focus, while the informing style has a process/motivation focus. The intent of directing is to give structure; direct. The intent of informing is to evoke, draw forth, inspire, seek input.

    Certain work roles emphasize one style of communication over the other -- for instance, therapists are taught to be informing in their communication. It is considered undesirable to tell patients what to do. However, the military emphasizes directing -- giving orders is an expected behavior. (One of my clients served in the military, and all these years thought she had INFJ preferences. It was an awakening for her to discover her true preference for Informing!)

    The ticket is to look for the thing you prefer, the thing you do naturally -- not the thing you believe you are supposed to do or have been trained to do. I have seen plenty of INFPs employ directing, but they have usually ratcheted themselves up and are using extraverted Thinking, and it looks stressed and is not graceful to witness. (I look for how relaxed and natural the style is in order to uncover the true preference. Sometimes an INFP will inform and inform and inform, and then they get "triggered" and the directing bursts out.)

    The directing/informing dimension is often linked to the J/P dimension on the MBTI. People believe that "J's" have the directing style, while "P's" have the informing style. But this is not the rule, although it is true in the case of INFJ vs. INFP. (Examples where it's not true include how ISFJs prefer the informing style, while ISTPs prefer the directing style.)

    According to Dr. Linda Berens, for people with informing preferences (like INFPs), it's as if people are just a leetle bit more important than Task. And for people with directing preferences (like INFJ), it's as if Task is a leetle bit more important than people. It's as if one concern is operating in the foreground, and the other is operating in the background. So NFJs -- who do care very much about people -- sometimes may seem insensitive when Task is looming and they feel pressured to accomplish a goal. And NFPs may not care enough about Task to suit NFJs. (It is impossible to have equal concern about both at once -- one must take primacy.)

    INFPs feel uncomfortable "intruding" on other people's choices -- they want people to decide for themselves to do things. INFJs may inform up until things aren't getting done -- and then they direct (and may even take charge). This may come across as harsh or out-of-character to others, but it really isn't unnatural. I found my directing style most clearly when piling my nieces and nephews into the car, and it was a big contrast to my brother-in-law's informing style as he gave them information that would make them want to get into the car. (Unless he gets stressed out, of course, in which case he manifests a mean and ugly directing style.)

    I'll never forget the day my sister put her wine glass on the floor and a child went stumbling toward it. My brother-in-law called out, "The wine glass is in the path of the oncoming child!" I called out "Move your glass!" Not that it mattered -- wine was spilled. But how obvious a contrast between the two communication styles.
    A good situation to investigate which style you naturally prefer is seeing how you deal with customer service people. When you have a complaint to make, do you prefer to direct or inform? (Unless you are angry, of course, in which case you may be inclined to do directing, regardless of preference.)

    The directing types are inclined to "tell, ask, urge." They are "moving forward" and they sound "definite." The informing types, on the other hand, tend to "inform, inquire, explain, describe." They are "flowing, open, eliciting." INFPs sound patient while INFJs sound impatient. INFPs tend to perpetuate conversations; INFJs often kill them. INFJs focus on time and task, while INFPs focus on the emergent process. INFPs can sometimes be longwinded; INFJs can sometimes be short-winded (both to their own detriments!).

    INFJs fool themselves into believing they only use the informing style of communication because they dilute their requests with "please," and "would you mind," and "could we maybe..." They think this dimension is really about how polite people should be. (It's not!) By "softening" their orders this way, INFJs delude themselves into believing they utilize only the informing communication style, because their self-image often prevents them from identifying with a communication style that might be perceived as "bossy" or "harsh." (I know one INFJ who concedes that she is "refreshingly direct.") INFJs bristle at being called "directing," especially when they "only want to help" or "offer some advice." Their directing tends to include other-centered remarks, such as, "You should quit smoking," or, "Why don't you take a vacation?" The question they must ask themselves is whether or not they make clear what results they want. If it's clear -- that's directing, no matter who's the focus or how many hesitant "would-you-mind's" and "do-you-suppose's" are slathered onto their remark. And take a good look at what communication looks like when a task is "at risk"!
    Directing types are sometimes shocked to discover that informing communications could even be classified as instruction or contain requests! To them, it just sounds like unproductive "noise." I myself provide an excellent example of this. I would have gone to my death insisting I had the "nicer" informing style of communication until I took a live workshop with Dr. Berens. During this workshop, I encountered my own directing style -- to the extent that they used my interaction with an INFP as an example of what extreme directing looks like! Yikes! But what a wonderful gift of self-discovery -- to identify and own my innate "bossiness." (You get to witness my directing style in action all throughout these articles -- I make no bones about telling readers what to do!)

    INFPs, on the other hand, sometimes believe they have the directing communication style because they can be tyrannical with some others, such as family members or close friends -- but tyranny in itself is not directing! It's often useful to investigate how an individual operates in the workplace or at school to see whether it's different than how they relate to people they are intimate with. For instance, if an INFP invites someone to visit their home, do they tend to be directing or informing with that someone...?

    Sometimes INFPs are in situations where they are required to give orders, such as to children or students. These directing episodes are sometimes painfully memorable, so they assume they display the directing style. In point of fact, they did -- just not gracefully. Because it isn't natural, it isn't really their preference.
    Also, some INFPs believe saying, "Shoes don't belong on the bed" is interchangeable with saying, "Don't put shoes on the bed." But it's not! Here lies the rub -- that's exactly the sort of difference we're looking for. Can you determine which style is which in those examples? (I share more examples here.)

    Without practice, INFPs don't appear graceful when they adopt the directing style, and INFJs don't appear graceful when they adopt the informing style -- both need lots of practice.
    INFJs like to think they communicate in the manner of INFPs -- flowing, open, eliciting. INFPs like to think they communicate in the manner of INFJs -- assertive and self-confident. Both types often delude themselves around this point, and it can be a challenge to separate out the truth from idealized self-image. Dr. Berens also says: "My experience has been that INFJs and ENFJs tend to see themselves as having an informing style, but when you get down to it, they are rather unhappy if the person [they are relating to] isn't taking some kind of responsibility and action toward achieving their potential. In this case, living up to or developing potential is the task! And they often don't realize that there is a one-up kind of quality to this having a vision for someone else."

    Ironically, INFJs are wont to label informing communication as "passive-aggressive" (and it can be), while INFPs are wont to label directing communication as "bossy" (and it can be). Neither completely comprehends why the other communicates the way they do -- but INFPs are perhaps handicapped more, because INFJs (and others) are often downright oblivious to their style of communication. (Thus many INFPs complain about feeling invisible.) Sometimes it takes another informer to recognize when a request has been tendered. It's like a dog whistle -- some people can't even hear it!
    In public circumstances (like school and work), one's communication style becomes painfully apparent, and discrepancy between these styles can create serious problems. INFPs often get overlooked at work and are sometimes not considered "leaders" due to their informing communication style, while INFJs sometimes find themselves in leadership positions they didn't intend, due to speaking up with a directing "voice" and discovering themselves suddenly "in charge." I've boasted to my husband that I can inadvertently "direct" with my little finger, while my INFP friend can yell "fire!" in a crowded room and be utterly ignored. That's what Linda means when she talks about the communication style being "hard-wired" -- it's not only the words we use, it's how clearly we telegraph our wishes. Don't get hung up on specific content -- ask yourself whether you're a person who naturally causes people to jump into action (or cease action instantly), or whether you normally eschew that kind of delivery.
    Last edited by Female INFJ; 02-06-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    Btmangan, Hokahey, Chiiyuu and 3 others thanked this post.

  3. #3
    Unknown Personality

    The thing with a directive style of communication is that there is very little conversation feedback from the sender to the receiver. It's like what you say is the "ultimate truth", and there should be no further discussion about it. At least that's how I feel with me. I've noticed that I rarely get a response back from anyone, and it could also be because most of the things that I say could hold of little importance to other people; but it could also stem from the fact that I say things very direct, and my speech may come out as non-negotiable, meaning that it isn't open for discussion.

    I've tried to mellow my speech style, but it's so unnatural to me. Nevertheless, it is something that I need to work on in order to build a more closer relationships with people, and the only way for that to happen is through communication where everyone's ideas are shared equally.
    Btmangan, Female INFJ, Lady Nurture and 1 others thanked this post.

  4. #4
    INTJ - The Scientists

    Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclastic Visionary View Post
    The thing with a directive style of communication is that there is very little conversation feedback from the sender to the receiver. It's like what you say is the "ultimate truth", and there should be no further discussion about it. At least that's how I feel with me. I've noticed that I rarely get a response back from anyone, and it could also be because most of the things that I say could hold of little importance to other people; but it could also stem from the fact that I say things very direct, and my speech may come out as non-negotiable, meaning that it isn't open for discussion.

    I've tried to mellow my speech style, but it's so unnatural to me. Nevertheless, it is something that I need to work on in order to build a more closer relationships with people, and the only way for that to happen is through communication where everyone's ideas are shared equally.
    This is very true for me too - I've been called a 'conversation killer' because I tend to leave no room for the other person to move around in (speech-wise).

    However, I usually find that this stops when I become closer to someone. Does that mean that the theory above only applies to the 'face' of the types rather than the 'heart'?
    shaddie, Btmangan, Female INFJ and 1 others thanked this post.

  5. #5
    INFJ - The Protectors

    This is a totally alien concept for me.

    I almost totally and exclusively only use Informing speech.
    My father is the polar opposite and it grinds my gears all the time to hear him "order me around" so to speak.

    +++EDIT+++

    It's also a fair chance I just lack self-knowledge on this part and I'm using Directive speech a lot more than I realize. It's a possibility, I won't deny it.
    Female INFJ, Geoffrey and bakan3k0 thanked this post.

  6. #6
    Unknown Personality

    Quote Originally Posted by laurie17 View Post
    This is very true for me too - I've been called a 'conversation killer' because I tend to leave no room for the other person to move around in (speech-wise).

    However, I usually find that this stops when I become closer to someone. Does that mean that the theory above only applies to the 'face' of the types rather than the 'heart'?
    What do you mean by 'face of the types'?
    Btmangan thanked this post.

  7. #7
    INTJ - The Scientists

    Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclastic Visionary View Post
    What do you mean by 'face of the types'?
    The bit you see initially, the outer bit of the INFJ (which is very different to the inner part).
    Arctiko and Geoffrey thanked this post.

  8. #8
    ISFJ - The Nurturers

    this is so weird. i am definitely a person who uses a lot of directive language. i doubt that comes across here due to the many, many barriers in language but my thoughts are extremely directive. maybe because my thoughts are more simplistic, directive language to me seems more concise and to the point. for example in the milk scenario, my thought would be roughly translated to english: we have no milk. go get some. but then my fe-functions say, well that is abrupt and rude, so i would say, "we're out of milk, get some please?" which may sound more informing but really it isn't because i am basically ordering people around. this is so weird because i inherently dislike doing things like this consciously.

    /not an infj, but interested

    i can't actually say whether or not the infj i know does this because, well, we have a very interesting relationship and i can't exactly look at "bossiness" objectively here. toward other people i think she tends to have the idea that she "knows what's best for them" but that idea is usually a consensus with people more than her. when she "works" with other people to help them usually she works with someone else who balances her out. the combination that used to be very popular was an enfp and her doing the same "work" talking about other people's issues. this was mostly related to where i work, though now she no longer does this as she is taking time to heal for herself.

    i think though that it's very possible she does use directive statements just because of the nature of her work itself, was all about telling people what was wrong with them and telling them how to fix it and telling them what should be done. the only reason why this wasn't seen as a negative thing was because all of these people needed to be told. otherwise i think she could have been very annoying.
    Btmangan, Female INFJ and Lady Nurture thanked this post.

  9. #9
    INFJ - The Protectors

    I always figured that people used BOTH forms of speaking...perhaps some use a certain kind more than others...but to be honest, I've never really paid attention.

    A lot of what PinkRasputin was saying seems like stereotyping to me...sometimes people get so embroiled in MBTI types that they forget that everybody, regardless of type, is different.

  10. #10
    INFJ - The Protectors

    Quote Originally Posted by LiteratureNerd View Post
    I always figured that people used BOTH forms of speaking...perhaps some use a certain kind more than others...but to be honest, I've never really paid attention.

    A lot of what PinkRasputin was saying seems like stereotyping to me...sometimes people get so embroiled in MBTI types that they forget that everybody, regardless of type, is different.
    I actually find that whole thought to be very fascinating.

    In group identities, there is always a conflict between the generalities which govern the group, and the inherent differences between each individual.

    It is a paradox which governs much of what we do in day to day life.

    And... there's another grouping of direct statements We INFJs know that just because we speak in directive statements doesn't mean that the conversation is over, right?
    Female INFJ thanked this post.


 

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. *Note* To protect our forum from spam, we require all users to verify their email. We will send you a confirmation email after you've created an account. Be sure to check your "spam" box if you don't receive it in your inbox.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Similar Threads

  1. [INFJ] INFJ love language
    By Heewonder in forum INFJ Forum - The Protectors
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 11-15-2014, 04:07 PM
  2. What Language Are You?
    By skycloud86 in forum Personality Test Resources
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 08-05-2014, 10:36 PM
  3. [INFJ] Language, its Shortcomings, and the INFJ (warning: long)
    By phEight in forum INFJ Forum - The Protectors
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-25-2011, 02:30 PM
  4. INFJ. the secret online language revealed.
    By GreenCoyote in forum INFJ Forum - The Protectors
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-08-2010, 08:30 AM
  5. The Directive ESTJ (Socionics)
    By firedell in forum Socionics Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-27-2009, 04:15 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:13 PM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
© 2014 PersonalityCafe