People who have a "guilty conscience"

People who have a "guilty conscience"

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
Thank Tree8Thanks

This is a discussion on People who have a "guilty conscience" within the General Psychology forums, part of the Topics of Interest category; I can't help but talk about this because of the whole "tell a personality cafe member" thread.. And it may ...

  1. #1

    People who have a "guilty conscience"

    I can't help but talk about this because of the whole "tell a personality cafe member" thread.. And it may be a bit of a rant, it may be in the wrong section, but I want people to participate and I feel that while I may be ranting a bit it is a very important part of psychology that I am attempting to discuss.


    Now I don't know if anyone has realized it but most if not all of my posts are just broad generalized statements towards pretty much anyone. The tell a personality cafe member thread I only post broad statements. The only people who should feel offended by it would be those that it struck a chord with.


    I just find it ironic that those with a guilty conscience can become upset by something and not realize that the reason they are upset is because what was said is the truth. I mean how can someone be upset about something that someone said when what they said was in no way directed towards them, unless it was in fact something that did apply to them?


    does anyone else see this aspect of human psychology to be just such a absurdity that it makes you want to laugh at times?

    I just wish that I would not constantly have my views on human nature repeatedly verified. for once I would like someone to surprise me, to do something, for lack of a better word, unexpected. But I really doubt that this is ever going to happen. Now don't get me wrong, there are a lot of decent people, and there are a few exceptional ones out there, but the majority of you... just makes me feel ashamed at times.
    Blue Butterfly, SeekJess and Hemoglobin thanked this post.



  2. #2

    Good post. I know I often react to someone because they trigger something painful from my childhood. Often these events that are tirggered are emotional ones that are to difficult to handle. So I get all emotional from the pain.

  3. #3

    It depends. If it was something involving an interaction between you and them, then they probably thought you were being passive-aggressive, which would piss off anybody. They may not have seen it as a broad statement, but knowing a recent relevant context where you may have said something to or about them, or had a disagreement with them, assumed you were taking the opportunity to make nasty snide insinuations behind their backs.

    Could that be the case? I didn't read the thread you are referring to. I wouldn't be surprised if some people use it this way. If I have a disagreement with someone and then I see them making a snide remark about something that could refer to it later, then it doesn't take a "guilty conscience" to think they might be trashing me. I blame them.

  4. #4

    When I post there the people always know who they are. I usually leave a little hint they only they would know. Most of the things I put their are really warnings. I do this because I think talking about people behind their back is useless.

  5. #5

    I don't really know alot about your posts in general, but maybe they are getting upset because they think you are aiming your statement at them. I could see this as a problem when your post may come under theirs.

    I am an INFJ, and I personally have to be careful to not misconstrue what a person is saying, and reading way more into it than was intended. That is a NF trait and it would make sence that it could be a trait of other types also.

    Just a thought.
    MilkyWay132 thanked this post.

  6. #6

    Quote Originally Posted by RighteousRob View Post

    I just wish that I would not constantly have my views on human nature repeatedly verified. for once I would like someone to surprise me, to do something, for lack of a better word, unexpected.

    I sneak up and give you great big ENTJ hugs


    Bet you didn't see that coming now did you
    screamofconscious and NotSoRighteousRob thanked this post.

  7. #7

    I'm so offended right now! No I'm just kidding, but seriously. The majority of people are stupid, sucky, and assholes. BUT YOU ARE AWESOME!

  8. #8

    Quote Originally Posted by RighteousRob View Post
    ...The only people who should feel offended by it would be those that it struck a chord with.

    I just find it ironic that those with a guilty conscience can become upset by something and not realize that the reason they are upset is because what was said is the truth. I mean how can someone be upset about something that someone said when what they said was in no way directed towards them, unless it was in fact something that did apply to them?

    does anyone else see this aspect of human psychology to be just such a absurdity that it makes you want to laugh at times?
    If you know INFP functions (primary introverted feeling) then you know they bounce all incoming data against their own internal set of values, own morals. Then they develop a feeling that ranges from good to bad on stuff around them. So the fact that somebody is expressing their negative feelings about something that you said does not mean that what you said is true of them. It just means that based on your understanding of yourself you assumed so. But I guess if it makes you laugh can't hurt anyone really.

    There might be some other personality types who do this, not sure yet haven't looked through all of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by RighteousRob View Post
    I just wish that I would not constantly have my views on human nature repeatedly verified. for once I would like someone to surprise me, to do something, for lack of a better word, unexpected.
    So like embrace your views? Because there are only two options - agree or disagree. I don't see where the surprise is located either way.

  9. #9

    Quote Originally Posted by lirulin View Post
    It depends. If it was something involving an interaction between you and them, then they probably thought you were being passive-aggressive, which would piss off anybody. They may not have seen it as a broad statement, but knowing a recent relevant context where you may have said something to or about them, or had a disagreement with them, assumed you were taking the opportunity to make nasty snide insinuations behind their backs.

    Could that be the case? I didn't read the thread you are referring to. I wouldn't be surprised if some people use it this way. If I have a disagreement with someone and then I see them making a snide remark about something that could refer to it later, then it doesn't take a "guilty conscience" to think they might be trashing me. I blame them.

    again even this message is not directed towards any particular member. I am not the type when they have an issue or someone else has misunderstood me that would avoid telling that person where they were mistaken. I only created this thread because it is an issue that I see rather frequently in people in general, my example was only meant to help people relate to the topic.


    Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    I sneak up and give you great big ENTJ hugs


    Bet you didn't see that coming now did you
    lol not from you specifically, although I did expect something similar based on the fact you can always expect someone to attempt something unexpected when you say that you desire such a thing. Although it still did cheer me up rather well so thank you, :D


    @vel, This goes well beyond functions. This is a general trait in virtually every person. The point I was trying to make is that anyone with a guilty conscience will likely become upset by a broad statement whether it was directed at them or not because they will believe it was directed at them.

    I'd rather not separate types on this issue because I believe it works on a much more global level. Surely everyone can relate to that feeling when you have either lied about something or are under the influence of something and you believe everyone can tell, even though they would have no way of ever really knowing.

    While that example is different it still operates on the same principal of guilt making people suspicious or paranoid. Making a broad comment such as,

    "how can you be so judgmental?"

    In a thread where everyone is pretty much judging another person, I imagine many people felt it was directed right at them, and in a sense, it was. but those that only read the thread and do not post in it may have thought I was referring to a comment elsewhere in the forum. I imagine that many people had the reaction of being offended or upset at such a comment, and yet if they understood the context and the irony of making a comment like that I am lumping myself in the same group as everyone else, maybe they wouldn't be so quick to take it personally.

    Mostly these are just theories of mine on human behavior. I realize not everyone reacts to things the same way but I still believe the majority will respond according to rather simple predictions based on emotional behavior.
    Drake thanked this post.

  10. #10

    A person may fall into your generalization whether you direct it at them or not.

    You must provide limiting context explicitly, otherwise people will insert their own (because we are not mind readers)

    For example, if I make a statement about people who make posts titled People who have a "guilty conscience", I would be implicitly talking about you, even if I'm not talking about you specifically and even if I don't know you - and if the statement I connect to that is seen to be wrong or offensive, you would implicitly connect that statement to yourself. I made a generalization about people who do a certain thing, you do that thing, therefore you are included in that generalization.

    Being vague only makes people more likely to misinterpret what you say (especially with the "you must be talking about me!" phenomenon)


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 10-20-2014, 06:43 AM
  2. [INFJ] Does your energy/"intensity" make people feel uncomfortable?
    By spook in forum INFJ Forum - The Protectors
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 07-07-2014, 12:39 PM
  3. INTP "Thinker" seeks ENTJ "Performer" as business partner
    By Melquiadez in forum ENTJ Forum - The Executives
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-03-2013, 04:38 AM
  4. INTP "Thinker" seeks ESFP "Performer" as business partner
    By Melquiadez in forum Education & Career Talk
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-11-2013, 07:05 PM
  5. [INFJ] Have trouble accepting it when other people aren't in favor of your "vision"?
    By thegirlcandance in forum INFJ Forum - The Protectors
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-16-2010, 09:19 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:36 PM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
2014 PersonalityCafe