a more positive spin
Groundbreaking Agreement Between Verizon Wireless and Google to... -- BASKING RIDGE, N.J., and MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., Oct. 6 /PRNewswire/ --
a more appropriate view
Marvin Ammori: Google-Verizon Pact: Makes BP Look Good
Sure I may be biased..
anyways what i gather from this is it is paving the way so big corporations will be able to dictate what sites you see.
here's a quote of some points that google and verizon have agreed upon
"Google has always said it supports net neutrality, whereas Verizon is one of the biggest networks in the US and wants to be allowed to charge for different services. The two agreed a proposal, rather than a formal deal, which listed key principles that business and regulators could work with:
• ISPs cannot discriminate against any service in an anti-competitive way.
• ISPs cannot block consumers from any legal service.
• ISPs have the right to manage and prioritize web traffic.
• ISPs must be transparent about how they are managing services.
• The FCC would enforce on a case-by-case basis, and have its regulatory powers over broadband services restored.
• A fixed part of all phone fees would be dedicated to investment in broadband networks.
And the last and most significant two:
• ISPs can introduce new and different internet services, such as 3D.
• Wireless services are exempt from all these proposals, apart from the condition of transparency."