Could We Become Gods? - Page 4

Could We Become Gods?

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 44
Thank Tree34Thanks

This is a discussion on Could We Become Gods? within the Critical Thinking & Philosophy forums, part of the Topics of Interest category; Technology can't alter the law of physic. No humans invention ever did, and none will never do. Everything we create ...

  1. #31

    Technology can't alter the law of physic. No humans invention ever did, and none will never do. Everything we create use in a new way something that already exist. We harness some forces of nature. Thus technology is not only limited by what we know, but by what is. Thus we can't be gods.

    My point is, there will always be something that technology can't do. That limit is what we will attribute to a god. Thus divinity is inaccessible.

  2. #32

    Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    Technology can't alter the law of physic. No humans invention ever did, and none will never do. Everything we create use in a new way something that already exist. We harness some forces of nature. Thus technology is not only limited by what we know, but by what is. Thus we can't be gods.

    My point is, there will always be something that technology can't do. That limit is what we will attribute to a god. Thus divinity is inaccessible.
    yes, though in the past in sure most people thought what we have today would have been impossible. We are using the resources we have but their is more to discover.
    If you believe in evolution then the first organisms were single celled right? They have evolved so much, some animals can even remake lost body parts.

  3. #33

    Fully define the word "god".

  4. #34

    One could only be a God if they had something or someone to worship them, and generally if you can live forever.
    So first you would have to create or find someone so that they can worship you or hold you higher than themselves.

  5. #35

    I think we're all God and we're all evolving. Our intelligence has taken us a long way but now we need to develop ourselves and our technologies with more humanism. Humanism caused the renaissance and that's what we need. Anything can be used for good or bad and that goes the same with our technology.

    Where we are right now is like the dark ages because we have completely forgotten about our humanism and morality. We have spent too long focusing on how much each of us can consume and hoard and we've forgotten the greater picture of what humanity is striving for. So the system tanking like it us will force us to question what we are striving for. And when we get the damn picture then we will start the next renaissance.

    Speaking of evolution those bible thumping conservative Republicans are the bottom of the evolutionary chain at the moment. They're what is keeping the US from progressing. Just as the dark ages were pro-religion and anti-reason.
    Dark Romantic thanked this post.

  6. #36

    Quote Originally Posted by eros5th View Post
    I think we're all God and we're all evolving. Our intelligence has taken us a long way but now we need to develop ourselves and our technologies with more humanism. Humanism caused the renaissance and that's what we need. Anything can be used for good or bad and that goes the same with our technology.
    I agree with the idea that many people these days should adopt a more humanist approach to life. Many in my state in the US seem very hedonistic, materialistic and morally absurdist.

    Quote Originally Posted by eros5th View Post
    Where we are right now is like the dark ages because we have completely forgotten about our humanism and morality. We have spent too long focusing on how much each of us can consume and hoard and we've forgotten the greater picture of what humanity is striving for. So the system tanking like it us will force us to question what we are striving for. And when we get the damn picture then we will start the next renaissance.

    Speaking of evolution those bible thumping conservative Republicans are the bottom of the evolutionary chain at the moment. They're what is keeping the US from progressing. Just as the dark ages were pro-religion and anti-reason
    Just a word of friendly advice:

    I wouldn't cite the Dark Ages as an example of how "bad" we've gotten (or for why we "shouldn't have religion" or "how bad religion is", not that I'm implying that's what you're saying).

    Frankly, the Dark Ages wasn't "anti-reason" with a "populace blindly following their faith": that much, I dare say, is simply myth.

    If anything, it was because of the Dark Ages that we had the Renaissance to begin with.
    In the words of a Cambridge University Professor:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Numbers
    The foundation was laid here for the wonderful blossoming of science that was to occur in the High Middle Ages to come. It can be safely said, that without the study of Science in the Early Middle Ages, we would be considerably behind in our scientific knowledge today. Ronald Numbers has said: ‘Notions such as: “the rise of Christianity killed off ancient science”, “the medieval Christian Church suppressed the growth of the natural sciences”, “the medieval Christians thought that the world was flat”, and “the Church prohibited autopsies and dissections during the Middle Ages” [are] examples of widely popular myths that still pass as historical truth, even though they are not supported by historical research.’
    Index: Myths and Truths in Science and Religion: A historical perspective - Ronald Numbers

    Let alone progress in general during the "Dark Ages", in fact there was a mini-renaissance of sorts during that "Dark Age":
    Quote Originally Posted by listverse.com
    The Carolingian Renaissance was a period of advancements in literature, writing, the arts, architecture, jurisprudence, liturgical and scriptural studies which occurred in the late eighth and ninth centuries. The Carolingians were Franks and the most well known is Charlemagne. The Carolingian empire was considered a rebirth of the culture of the Roman Empire.
    Or for that matter the "Dark Ages" being "anti-reason":
    Quote Originally Posted by listverse.com
    The Classical Education (still used today in some schools) was the system used by the Universities which were created in the Early Middle Ages (the first in history). The universities taught the arts, law, medicine, and theology (the study of religion). The University of Bologna (founded in 1088) was the first ever to grant degrees. In addition to the classical structure (based on Ancient Greek education), these medieval universities were heavily influenced by Islamic education which was thriving at the time
    Top 10 Reasons The Dark Ages Were Not*Dark
    Middle-Ages Science | Experiment-Resources.com | A website about the Scientific Method, Research and Experiments

    The actual "Dark Ages" doesn't appear to be much about humanity's cultural and technological digression if we consider the Carolingian Renaissance or the fact that universities were established in that time period.

    Regardless, I do agree with you. Humanity is progressing splendidly when it comes to technology: just not culturally or ethically. Is it because of "bible thumping Christians"? Perhaps, but then again you appear to not be looking at the bigger picture.
    What about materialism? What about hedonism? What about the near to zero population growth in countries like Russia and Sweden?
    Those issues seem to be plauging society (espcially the US) more than these so-called bible thumping Christians are. And I highly doubt we can attribute all of this to "narrow-minded" Christians.
    But then again, it could be a motley of things. Either way, I'd address all issues our society faces instead of zeroing in on only one faction: there hardly ever is solely one issue responsible for our stagnation.
    Uncouth Angel thanked this post.

  7. #37

    Quote Originally Posted by tzenbot150 View Post
    I agree with the idea that many people these days should adopt a more humanist approach to life. Many in my state in the US seem very hedonistic, materialistic and morally absurdist.



    Just a word of friendly advice:

    I wouldn't cite the Dark Ages as an example of how "bad" we've gotten (or for why we "shouldn't have religion" or "how bad religion is", not that I'm implying that's what you're saying).

    Frankly, the Dark Ages wasn't "anti-reason" with a "populace blindly following their faith": that much, I dare say, is simply myth.

    If anything, it was because of the Dark Ages that we had the Renaissance to begin with.
    In the words of a Cambridge University Professor:

    Index: Myths and Truths in Science and Religion: A historical perspective - Ronald Numbers

    Let alone progress in general during the "Dark Ages", in fact there was a mini-renaissance of sorts during that "Dark Age":


    Or for that matter the "Dark Ages" being "anti-reason":


    Top 10 Reasons The Dark Ages Were Not*Dark
    Middle-Ages Science | Experiment-Resources.com | A website about the Scientific Method, Research and Experiments

    The actual "Dark Ages" doesn't appear to be much about humanity's cultural and technological digression if we consider the Carolingian Renaissance or the fact that universities were established in that time period.

    Regardless, I do agree with you. Humanity is progressing splendidly when it comes to technology: just not culturally or ethically. Is it because of "bible thumping Christians"? Perhaps, but then again you appear to not be looking at the bigger picture.
    What about materialism? What about hedonism? What about the near to zero population growth in countries like Russia and Sweden?
    Those issues seem to be plauging society (espcially the US) more than these so-called bible thumping Christians are. And I highly doubt we can attribute all of this to "narrow-minded" Christians.
    But then again, it could be a motley of things. Either way, I'd address all issues our society faces instead of zeroing in on only one faction: there hardly ever is solely one issue responsible for our stagnation.
    Whether the dark ages were dark or not isn't definite. Thanks for those passages though. Though I think you could agree there was more advancement during the Renaissance.

    I don't mean to blame everything on the bible thumpers at all. There's problems everywhere... but as far as hatred and anti-science is concerned they tend to take the cake. Of course you could say there are plenty of liberals who are too hedonistic. In any case yea we all need to wake up as a society and be more conscious of our actions on humanity as a whole.

    And there's zero population growth in Sweden? I just googled it and a bunch of articles came up about there being growth. Where'd you get that from and what are the implications?

  8. #38

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubs View Post
    Is the idea of divinity rooted in the inexplicable, the impossible? If we have no limitations, and there is nothing "humanly impossible," can the idea of divinity still exist?
    If something has no boundaries, it can have no definition. For this reason, I can't conceive of an omnipotent humanity (an omnipotent deity is another matter, but we would still need a better understanding of what "omnipotence" means). Humanity by nature and definition is flawed, so I believe that no matter how far we progress scientifically or intellectually, we will still be inhabiting the bodies of Pleistocene walking apes with the hardware and software for dealing with hunting and gathering problems in Pleistocene Africa.

    Would some "primitive" cultures mistake advanced future humans for gods? Sure, but the concept of divinity itself wouldn't go away. It's futile if you think about it. A god that could be scientifically proven/understood would also be a god of no religious or spiritual significance to anyone. Even if we found a being which had some of the supposed appurtenance of divinity, not everyone would agree that it is a god, or worthy of worship, since we can't even seem to agree as to what divinity actually consists of.

  9. #39

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkWarrior View Post
    Maybe achieving god-hood is the ultimate climax of evolution. If living things continue to adapt better for survival wouldn't after billions of years wouldn't the ultimate outcome to become something that is not only able to adapt but to change his own environment. Then from there it is a matter of evolving to what can control the environment most successfully, which would be a god. What if we are on the brink of God-hood. Intriguing.
    If you lived in Sigil, I would know what faction to direct you toward:

    Lady's Cage Mush - Believers of the Source

    I disagree a bit, though. Evolution doesn't have a "goal" in mind. The entire notion of hierarchy of being is a religious idea, not a scientific one. Every organism is exactly as evolved as it needs to be, otherwise it would be extinct.

  10. #40

    Quote Originally Posted by eros5th View Post
    Whether the dark ages were dark or not isn't definite. Thanks for those passages though. Though I think you could agree there was more advancement during the Renaissance.
    Of course there was. I'm just saying that the Dark Ages wasn't exactly full of "science haters" and "suppressers of truth" as you said it was (or made it appear to be stating). My argument wasn't whether the Dark Ages had any technological progress, just the misconception that there wasn't any... which you also associated with bible thumpers or "narrow-minded" Christians.

    Quote Originally Posted by eros5th View Post
    I don't mean to blame everything on the bible thumpers at all. There's problems everywhere... but as far as hatred and anti-science is concerned they tend to take the cake. Of course you could say there are plenty of liberals who are too hedonistic. In any case yea we all need to wake up as a society and be more conscious of our actions on humanity as a whole.

    And there's zero population growth in Sweden? I just googled it and a bunch of articles came up about there being growth. Where'd you get that from and what are the implications?
    I was a bit quick to use the wrong vocabulary with that one, my bad.
    The technical demographic term of greatest concern would be its replacement fertility rate (the rate by which a country produces babies to replenish future generations). In this case, Sweden's replacement fertility is rather low (1.6) compared to what it should be to replenish its population (the total fertility rate would have to be around 3 for rapid growth). In this case, Sweden could have an aging population and therefore there'd be more grandmas and grandpas and less young ones: a big problem.
    While the population itself is growing, I wouldn't say that is a cause for celebration. Compared to other countries it doesn't appear to be enough (in fact its down near countries with relatively low to near-zero population growth rates), and from looking at it myself it appears very close to zero.
    Population growth rate statistics - countries compared - NationMaster

    Even if it was growing, it was most likely due to laxed immigration laws. In which case it would seem that the local population would be overwhelmed by immigrants, I didn't factor that into my reasoning of Sweden's population crisis in my previous post mind you. Either way, it seems to be a problem for Sweden if they can't get their people to have more babies.

    Sources:
    Sweden Total fertility rate - Demographics
    Sweden - Total fertility rate - Historical Data Graphs per Year


 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. MB Gods
    By Zulban in forum INTP Forum - The Thinkers
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 09-20-2013, 08:45 PM
  2. Greek Gods and Goddesses
    By fishier3000 in forum Guess the type
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-19-2013, 07:52 AM
  3. [INTP] Do you believe in god/the gods?
    By SenRyuu in forum INTP Forum - The Thinkers
    Replies: 95
    Last Post: 07-19-2011, 10:03 PM
  4. Why is sex not a choice? If you believe in God or Gods
    By Renogod in forum Critical Thinking & Philosophy
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-09-2011, 05:06 AM
  5. Oh gods!!
    By εmptε in forum Guess the type
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-17-2009, 06:20 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:52 AM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
2014 PersonalityCafe