MBTI functions explained - Page 2

MBTI functions explained

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 53
Thank Tree330Thanks

This is a discussion on MBTI functions explained within the Cognitive Functions forums, part of the Personality Type Forums category; Originally Posted by remer Grey is right. According to MBTI, the first four functions of ISFP are in order (Fi, ...

  1. #11
    Unknown Personality

    Quote Originally Posted by remer View Post
    Grey is right. According to MBTI, the first four functions of ISFP are in order (Fi, Se, Ni, Te).
    While reading the MBTI at en.wikipedia I came to understand that the Tertiary function is generally indicated as N due to debate. Jung and Myers-Briggs believe when the dominant functions is extraverted, all other functions are introverted, and vice versa . But MBTI practitioners believe the Tertiary function is of the same preference as that of the dominant.

    E.g. INFP according to Jung and Myers-Briggs is (Fi, Ne, Se, Pe) but to MBTI practitioners (Fi, Ne, Si, Pe)

    The Tertiary function is the opposite preference from the Auxiliary. For example, if the Auxiliary is thinking then the Tertiary would be feeling. The attitude of the Tertiary is the subject of some debate and therefore is not normally indicated, i.e. if the Auxiliary was Te then the Tertiary would be F (not Fe or Fi) source
    Grey thanked this post.

  2. #12
    INTJ - The Scientists

    I disagree in so many aspects of this theory i don't even know where to begin with.
    The fact that sensing is physical and intuition motion, doesn't have any argumentation to back it up. Also Si does involve comparing to the past, which would mean this is also motion... it is extremely confusing comparing physical and motion in this way, it is illogical to do so.
    Also the fact that introversion has a tendency to concentrate and extroversion to expand, would mean that the introverted has an initial wider matrix, and extroversion local.
    I also disregard the fact that there isn't extroverted or introverted feeling/thinking. I guess this is the part i disagree most with. i believe there is a vital difference between using Ne-Ti and Ti-Ne; the order is definite, Ne-Ti would expand from local matrix then analyze linearly as it expands, thus gaining and accumulating knowledge and finding new meanings; while Ti-Ne would contract wide matrix and increase relationships between knowledge to conform concise understanding, thus becoming wiser and competent in their initial field of concentration .
    Linesky, Grey and pikmenbattlehealer thanked this post.

  3. #13
    Unknown Personality

    Edit: Ah never mind.

    See the Function Analysis Test topic and the Function Order Models Guide for more info about MBTI, its functions and alternatives. These I came across very recently and have been a good help for understanding MBTI better.
    Last edited by remer; 01-11-2010 at 12:46 PM.
    Marco Antonio, Linesky, Grey and 1 others thanked this post.

  4. #14
    Unknown Personality

    Is this not already the case? To stick to your example given, the Ne-Ti resembles an ENTP, which is a distinctive different personality type than the Ti-Ne which resembles an INTP.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco Antonio View Post
    i believe there is a vital difference between using Ne-Ti and Ti-Ne; the order is definite.
    Grey thanked this post.

  5. #15
    INTJ - The Scientists

    Quote Originally Posted by remer View Post
    Is this not already the case? To stick to your example given, the Ne-Ti resembles an ENTP, which is a distinctive different personality type than the Ti-Ne which resembles an INTP.
    MBTI'ish speaking yes, that is the case, but this particular mentioned theory is something i don't accept because of the lack of dynamism of the graphifcs suggest the idea that thinking patterns of any compatible functions, such as those mentioned in my last post, are identical and static.

    I dislike this model's approach to the cognition because if the Ti has a need for Se or Ne as a base, means Ti is second to perceiving and this is not the case in EJ and IP types (and IJ in Socionics)
    Grey thanked this post.

  6. #16
    Unknown Personality

    Ah, I think I understand you. This model is in fact incomplete, it makes not clear the order and influences of the dominant and secondary functions. In example, NT, the given matrix should not only describe (Ni, Te) and (Ne, Ti), but also (Te, Ni) and (Ti, Ne).

    Although the model may not be very accurate about the relations between functions, still it informed me a lot about the functions themselves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco Antonio View Post
    MBTI'ish speaking yes, that is the case, but this particular mentioned theory is something i don't accept because of the lack of dynamism of the graphifcs suggest the idea that thinking patterns of any compatible functions, such as those mentioned in my last post, are identical and static.

    I dislike this model's approach to the cognition because if the Ti has a need for Se or Ne as a base, means Ti is second to perceiving and this is not the case in EJ and IP types (and IJ in Socionics)
    Grey thanked this post.

  7. #17
    INTJ - The Scientists

    Quote Originally Posted by remer View Post
    Ah, I think I understand you. This model is in fact incomplete, it makes not clear the order and influences of the dominant and secondary functions. In example, NT, the given matrix should not only describe (Ni, Te) and (Ne, Ti), but also (Te, Ni) and (Ti, Ne).
    Yes, but not exactly, i mean or refer to the particularities of each cognitive function to have a presence as individual information processors, as well as joint isotopes depending on the leading function. Contrary to this, the model describes or represents not only the absolute dependence of a judging element to a perceiving element, but also a lack of order of the elements as operational couples involving different results of cognitive models.


    Although the model may not be very accurate about the relations between functions, still it informed me a lot about the functions themselves.
    I prefer to perceive the functions first rather as how they interact in a matrix of time,space and mass. basically the solutions of mainly the relationships between space+time, which from my point of view reflects dynamism, or space+mass which i perceive to represent static(constant).Second as when the functions components interests the mind to gather information codependent to one and both of these aspects. And Third as where the information is being filtered from.
    Grey, remer and AgentSH thanked this post.

  8. #18
    ENFP - The Inspirers

    Wow that really helped my understanding of the theory a lot!
    Marco Antonio and pikmenbattlehealer thanked this post.

  9. #19
    ENTP - The Visionaries

    Interesting article. I don't there is any evidence base for the right brain-left brain thing though. I wonder if functional MRI might get us there one day, though.

  10. #20
    ENFJ - The Givers

    This thread is interesting and useful, but I think the writing in the article exemplifies the trouble I still have in understanding Myers-Briggs. I need examples of a actual behaviors and anecdotes. I am a more narrative thinker. The organization above is a start, but it's too amorphous for me. I need context to root it in. For each instance, I need an example.

    Does anyone have examples?

    Thank you.


 
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 112
    Last Post: 08-06-2013, 03:27 PM
  2. What functions are at work here?!?!
    By PixelBrain in forum Myers Briggs Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-06-2013, 02:59 PM
  3. Comparison of the Functions
    By Psilo in forum Myers Briggs Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-26-2009, 08:38 AM
  4. What functions do you use to try to type others?
    By monique in forum Myers Briggs Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-26-2009, 08:15 AM
  5. Relationship of the Functions
    By Eylrid in forum Articles
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-22-2009, 10:00 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:40 PM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
2014 PersonalityCafe