Vulnerability and control in 1 vs 8

Vulnerability and control in 1 vs 8

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 219
Thank Tree200Thanks

This is a discussion on Vulnerability and control in 1 vs 8 within the Body Triad - Types 8,9,1 forums, part of the Enneagram Personality Theory Forum category; So how does it work differently for these two things for type 1 vs type 8? Specifically contrasting 1 sx ...

  1. #1
    Type 1

    Vulnerability and control in 1 vs 8

    So how does it work differently for these two things for type 1 vs type 8? Specifically contrasting 1 sx with type 8, since 1 sx has the most 8-ish energy of all 1's.


    Some specific questions:

    How does 1 (1 sx) deal with vulnerability, I read they don't like it either much like 8 doesn't. Any difference then in dealing with it/blocking it out?

    What are the differences for the method of control for 1 (1 sx) vs 8? Both care about some forms of control, obviously, but what are the nuances that make it different mechanisms internally?
    Animal thanked this post.



  2. #2
    Type 8

    I'm addicted to my sx1, they are so similar in so many ways but the the motivation is still different. An sx 1 is an enneagram 8 in chains. Nonetheless it's hard for either of us to surrender but we love eachother despite all the conflict because we both see the child and the innocence in one another. I have never been on such a crazy roller coaster of a relationship but I can't leave. He's the only one who can match my intensity. Everything else seems dull to me now that I have experienced him. Finally someone as intense as me and I'm a 8w7 sx.

  3. #3

    1s like to control mundane shit. like everything in life stresses them out and they complain a lot. 8's fear being taken advantage of or harmed. they also dont like to be any subordinate role at all and the 1 doesnt mind being in one as long as everything is working well in general and they agree with the leader or whatever.
    Aridela, fawning and tower thanked this post.

  4. #4
    Type 8w9

    1 is a superego type, so it's a lot of "I ought to be X", based on the principle that it is morally right to be like this. 1s, based on my limited experience, dislike too much subjectivity as they think it's going to stop them in their mission to do the right thing. By subjectivity, they think of things such as considering the subjectivity of experience and feelings, in other words, they dislike the 4ness within themselves.

    1s appear much more notably self-controlling in general ("I should be X") whereas 8s are much more live-let-live. It's arguably one of the strongest conflict points in 8 vs 1.
    Coburn, To_august, Reina and 3 others thanked this post.

  5. #5
    Type 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    I'm addicted to my sx1, they are so similar in so many ways but the the motivation is still different. An sx 1 is an enneagram 8 in chains. Nonetheless it's hard for either of us to surrender but we love eachother despite all the conflict because we both see the child and the innocence in one another. I have never been on such a crazy roller coaster of a relationship but I can't leave. He's the only one who can match my intensity. Everything else seems dull to me now that I have experienced him. Finally someone as intense as me and I'm a 8w7 sx.
    Hey I really really like your wording of "an sx 1 is an enneagram 8 in chains". Can you get into more detail on how the motivations differ?

    Especially the differences for 8w7 sx vs 1 sx, yeah... that sounds very interesting.

    And I don't know if you have time or if you care about looking at type threads but if you don't mind, would you have a quick look at mine?

    Since you seem to be really knowledgeable on both 1 sx and 8 and I'm between those two right now and have been intensely trying to figure this out for quite a while.

    (Anyone else reading this can chime in too, of course.)


    Quote Originally Posted by 1bestusername View Post
    1s like to control mundane shit. like everything in life stresses them out and they complain a lot. 8's fear being taken advantage of or harmed. they also dont like to be any subordinate role at all and the 1 doesnt mind being in one as long as everything is working well in general and they agree with the leader or whatever.
    Afaik 8's don't mind being an employee either if they decide to be that. It's not like every single 8 earns their living in their own business or in the mafia or something like that lol

    Do you have any thoughts on the differences regarding approach to vulnerability for 1(sx) vs 8?

  6. #6

    Yeah, 1's like 6's attack vulnerability and try to fix themselves and 8's don't even like talking about it. Makes them feel weak and ineffectual
    Entropic, Aridela, Blue Ribbon and 1 others thanked this post.

  7. #7
    Type 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Entropic View Post
    1 is a superego type, so it's a lot of "I ought to be X", based on the principle that it is morally right to be like this. 1s, based on my limited experience, dislike too much subjectivity as they think it's going to stop them in their mission to do the right thing. By subjectivity, they think of things such as considering the subjectivity of experience and feelings, in other words, they dislike the 4ness within themselves.

    1s appear much more notably self-controlling in general ("I should be X") whereas 8s are much more live-let-live. It's arguably one of the strongest conflict points in 8 vs 1.
    I see. Do you find 8's are fine with subjectivity? Do you have any thoughts on the differences regarding approach to vulnerability for 1(sx) vs 8?

  8. #8
    Type 1

    Quote Originally Posted by 1bestusername View Post
    Yeah, 1's like 6's attack vulnerability and try to fix themselves and 8's don't even like talking about it. Makes them feel weak and ineffectual
    Aah this sounds interesting. What does this attacking and fixing look like with 1s?

  9. #9
    Type 8w9

    Quote Originally Posted by tower View Post
    I see. Do you find 8's are fine with subjectivity? Do you have any thoughts on the differences regarding approach to vulnerability for 1(sx) vs 8?
    8s just don't care. You do you, I do me. Whatever works works, as long it makes you do what you feel you need to do. It's a much simpler way of living life and approaching reality. There's no need to involve convoluted thinking like "I should be X because Y". I don't need to justify myself and my actions in relation to some external object/moral code/reasoning. 1s do that, because they are constantly evaluating themselves vs. their superego ideal.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1bestusername View Post
    Yeah, 1's like 6's attack vulnerability and try to fix themselves and 8's don't even like talking about it. Makes them feel weak and ineffectual
    Agreed. This is one of the points that baffles me a lot with 1s (and 6s). The difference is that 1s (and 6s) always look for flaws within themselves and things around them i.e. what's not working/is wrong. 8s address failures and errors only when a problem actually occurs. There's no need to be flawness/perfect. In fact, 8 kinda dislikes that. Being flawed is human and more the power to you if you can use that to your own advantage by owning it. I wouldn't say 1s (and 6s) like to own their flaws/imperfections as much as they try to erase them. It's not self-acceptance per se, as much as it is a suppression of them.

    This is also one way the types are different in that the superego types tend to project themselves into the future whereas 8 is present-oriented.
    To_august, Reina, lets mosey and 2 others thanked this post.

  10. #10

    Just remember that 1's entire existence is to enforce their moral laws on society and have everything live up to their ideal. I read a good article about this where the writer mentions that 1's believe things are ''right and wrong'' and they sort of hope that they run into something they can fix. The writer used the example of somebody being beaten up in an alley, a weak person, the 8 just stumbles upon it and in the moment (remember it's a gut type) decides well thats not right I'm going to do something about it. They do not think about it much after whereas 1 might apply this to some societal problem and make a huge deal out of it

    Sometimes the types are confused for each other but they're actually quite different. In the contexts of relationships I cannot help you much
    Aridela and tower thanked this post.


     
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6114
    Last Post: 07-07-2014, 07:54 PM
  2. [Enneagram Type 8] 8w7 control style vs 8w9 control style: The Conqueror vs the Patriarch
    By Swordsman of Mana in forum Type 8 Forum - The Challenger
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 04-18-2013, 11:10 AM
  3. [INFJ] Vulnerability?
    By sharktooth in forum INFJ Forum - The Protectors
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-03-2011, 01:19 PM
  4. What do you think of vulnerability?
    By zBillyz in forum NF's Temperament Forum- The Dreamers
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-15-2011, 07:58 PM
  5. Vulnerability
    By Darkestblue in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-03-2011, 11:45 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:47 PM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
© 2014 PersonalityCafe
 

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0