The Enneagram: Myths vs. Facts - Page 2

The Enneagram: Myths vs. Facts

Hello Guest! Sign up to join the discussion below...
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37
Thank Tree137Thanks

This is a discussion on The Enneagram: Myths vs. Facts within the Articles forums, part of the Announcements category; Originally Posted by Sino425 Wondering if i should try ennegram You definitely should! It's extremely useful, especially when combined with ...

  1. #11

    Quote Originally Posted by Sino425 View Post
    Wondering if i should try ennegram
    You definitely should! It's extremely useful, especially when combined with MBTI.
    Out0fAmmo thanked this post.

  2. #12

    @MBTI Enthusiast nevermind using these typing others but what about when typing yourself?

    It seems to me that if a 1 thinks any of the other type is "the right way to be" they would force themself to live as that type. If a 3 thinks any of the other types are what defines success they would try to be like that. There are surely similar ways of other types doing similar. How can anyone be sure they've got to the bottom of their motivations?

  3. #13

    I didnt understand a word you said. If you gonna say somethin, say it so I can understand plz.

  4. #14

    Quote Originally Posted by asmit127 View Post
    @MBTI Enthusiast nevermind using these typing others but what about when typing yourself?

    It seems to me that if a 1 thinks any of the other type is "the right way to be" they would force themself to live as that type. If a 3 thinks any of the other types are what defines success they would try to be like that. There are surely similar ways of other types doing similar. How can anyone be sure they've got to the bottom of their motivations?
    That's a good point, and often the reasons tritypes exist. Finding your core motivation may be a challenge for some people, but one thing I've heard is that if you are comfortable about your type, it's probably not it. For instance, I mistyped as a 5 my first try, and reading the description wasn't too bad. "Wow. Yeah I guess I'm pretty smart and like learning. What's this about being overly detached? Eh, not really, but oh well, nothing is 100% accurate." You are happy with all of the good aspects, and since the negative ones don't really fit you brush them off. Reading the negative traits of your true core type usually hits home for you and strikes a nerve.

    Quote Originally Posted by techi View Post
    I didnt understand a word you said. If you gonna say somethin, say it so I can understand plz.
    Is this directed at the original post?

    Also, protip: if you gonna say somethin, don't write it in neon green.
    suicidal_orange, Out0fAmmo and Dancing Queen thanked this post.

  5. #15

    @MBTI Enthusiast I disagree, it's far harder for me to relate to the positive traits while I can explain lots of my less healthy behaviour with the motivations of lots of types. I regularly think things like "oh no, I'm being nice to someone I bearly know - maybe I really am a needy 2" or I'll notice myself smirking at the 'stupidity' of a group while not bothering to help them and think "I am stingy with knowledge, perhaps I'm a 5 afterall". But then it's always like I'm not 'measuring up', so I'm surely a 1. Or is this constant focus on myself and negative self image indicative of my being a 4? But it's 9s who see themselves everywhere

    I think it's time to hit the books again, see if anything really hits me.
    MBTI Enthusiast thanked this post.

  6. #16

    I am of the opinion that personality typing creates an "outline," we each have some room to color inside the lines. The traits describe what we tend to favor, people can have some variants that don't "fit" neatly into one category or another. I believe we are more than the sum of our parts, and that who we are is more than just a few letters or numbers in a book.

  7. #17

    Beautiful! The problem with these stereotypes is that people attach themselves to outward "symptoms" of each type rather than exploring the various manifestations of core fears and desires. If it's understood from that perspective, it's easy to see how all of these "facts" would be likely to be true.

    Quote Originally Posted by MBTI Enthusiast View Post
    When we meet people that we don't get along with, we sometimes see the entire type in a negative light. Stereotypes about types emerge, most of which do not directly apply. Many of these stereotypes are simply caused by a lack of understanding. This article serves to bridge that gap of knowledge and to allow everyone to be more aware of the myths surrounding each of the Enneagram types.

    Myth: Ones are “neat freaks” and are inflexible.
    Fact: What Ones rigidly adhere to and judge as right or wrong depends on the content of each one's internal standards, which can vary greatly. Thus, for example, if a One holds the standard that being flexible is the right way to be and maintaining neatness and order is a waste of time, then that person will not be particularly neat and will be judgmental about the inflexibility of others.

    Myth: Twos just give to get and underneath are very needy.
    Fact: Twos often give generously and only appear extra-needy because they repress so much need and desire, making them appear extra “thirsty” or needy.

    Myth: Threes care only about their own goals, efficiency, and image.
    Fact: Threes can be extremely caring people who bring a positive, can-do attitude to doing for others. In addition, the deceptiveness attributed to Threes is not about deceit, but about being out of touch with their own true feelings, which often are not far from awareness.

    Myth: Fours are dominated by their feelings and can't be counted upon.
    Fact: Fours often stay steady despite their strong feelings and accomplish a great deal with dedication as long as they are moved by the activity. They even have a knack for making the ordinary extraordinary.

    Myth: Fives are not giving, truly stingy, and overly reserved.
    Fact: Fives are not stingy so much as unwilling to be sharing of self when they experience too many emotional claims or intrusions. Indeed, Fives can be very giving and engaged. They just want to know the extent of the claims on their time and energy, to know the parameters, so to speak.

    Myth: Sixes are shrinking violets, pessimistic, and non-trusting.
    Fact: Sixes often face hazards and difficulties fearlessly to prove themselves capable. Far from being pessimistic, they mostly find positive solutions to the hazards they experience in life. And they can be very trusting and trustworthy as they gain confidence in another person or a situation.

    Myth: Sevens can't keep commitments and try to get out of difficult or trying situations.
    Fact: Sevens can sometimes end up staying in relationships that are not good for either person because they can always see the positive possibilities. And when something means a lot to Sevens, they can be counted on to stick with a situation or job and to make personal sacrifices and commitments to do so.

    Myth: Eights are just “out there” – aggressive, tough, and excessive.
    Fact: Eights can be quite reserved and quiet as well as very giving, generous, and kindhearted, in part because of Eights' all-or-nothing style of relating, but also in women because of the cultural mandate to tame their assertiveness.

    Myth: Nines are lazy, slow, unproductive, and lacking in leadership and effectiveness.
    Fact: Nines' inertia is simply toward themselves as they put their attention and energy into others' opinions and agendas. They are often highly productive and effective consensus leaders, as well as thoughtful and giving.


    Source: Daniels, David N., and Virginia Ann. Price. The Essential Enneagram: The Definitive Personality Test and Self-discovery Guide. San Francisco: HarperSanFrancisco, 2000. Print.


    Try to remember these points next time you sense a stereotype brewing about an Enneagram type. No one wants to be prematurely judged because of a common myth. :)
    MBTI Enthusiast thanked this post.

  8. #18

    I see my self as a nine, but in work settings I'm effective and hard working. It is when I'm not at work or school my 9 really kicks in, and then I'm unproductive, so I apreciated this article
    MBTI Enthusiast thanked this post.

  9. #19

    Quote Originally Posted by asmit127 View Post
    @MBTI Enthusiast I disagree, it's far harder for me to relate to the positive traits while I can explain lots of my less healthy behaviour with the motivations of lots of types. I regularly think things like "oh no, I'm being nice to someone I bearly know - maybe I really am a needy 2" or I'll notice myself smirking at the 'stupidity' of a group while not bothering to help them and think "I am stingy with knowledge, perhaps I'm a 5 afterall". But then it's always like I'm not 'measuring up', so I'm surely a 1. Or is this constant focus on myself and negative self image indicative of my being a 4? But it's 9s who see themselves everywhere

    I think it's time to hit the books again, see if anything really hits me.
    Considered 6???

    I was just like you until I hit 6. xD
    Animal thanked this post.

  10. #20

    Quote Originally Posted by Vergilius View Post
    Considered 6???

    I was just like you until I hit 6. xD
    Considered everything except 8. I'm curious, how did reading about type 6 turn you into a 1?


     
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 5 Gender Myths
    By firedell in forum General Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-09-2012, 09:04 PM
  2. [INFP] 10 myths about Introverts
    By Diamondeyes in forum INFP Forum - The Idealists
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-13-2012, 03:28 PM
  3. Fitness myths
    By Just_Some_Guy in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-18-2012, 11:29 AM
  4. Top ten myths about introverts
    By Heather White Karnas in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-29-2011, 08:50 AM
  5. Myths and Lengends
    By firedell in forum Enneagram Personality Theory Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-05-2010, 10:18 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:27 PM.
Information provided on the site is meant to complement and not replace any advice or information from a health professional.
© 2014 PersonalityCafe
 

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0